ntl economical with truth

obvious 15:18 10 Feb 2003

ntl are trying to pit the low volumes users against the high volume users. They repeatedly state that the new limits are designed to prevent the service degrading for the normal user. This is simply untrue and here's why:-

1. There's a new poll here click here for users
to input the results of a broadband speed test.
Initial results do not back up ntl's claim.

Please take part in this poll. It's a doddle and will only take a minute.

2. The sums don't add up

30Mbps+D/L per UBR, max per UBR 500 users (Often much less)

If most are only using 100MB a day (as claimed) or 12.8kbps average and
1% are using the full 1Mbps allowed, thats 5Mbps ( for the heavy users) and
25Mbps for everyone else.
Still leaves plenty of bandwidth.

I smell somthing fishy here

3. Users who have been lucky enough for their UBR cap to be disabled during
engineering work have found that their available bandwidth has increased
exponentially.
This seems to prove that there is massive slack in ntl's network.

I suggest that they simply trying to avoid excessive external bandwidth
charges by turning low bandwidth users against high bandwidth users.

I would define their position as this:-
"It's not fair, we're only making a nice fat profit from 99.5% of our users"

Forum Editor 15:59 10 Feb 2003

"We have a business to run, and a duty to our shareholders to maximise the profit/mitigate the loss from it."

Saying that something "is simply untrue" and then justifying it with theoretical calculations isn't really the way to influence people. As I have said before, the vast majority of broadband users will never approach a 1Gb a day downstream file transfer - so where's the problem? Bandwidth was always going to be the ADSL issue, and it's no surprise to hear that some people are transferring huge amounts of data - other countries have experienced the same thing. Nobody's turning low bandwidth users against high level users - that's a tad fanciful. What's happening is that some people (present company excepted naturally) are trying to whip this up into something that it isn't. The words "Storm in a teacup" spring to mind.

special sophie 16:43 10 Feb 2003

"We have a business to run, and a duty to our shareholders to maximise the profit/mitigate the loss from it." Why are you presenting a companies point of view when this area is called consumer watch are you not here to try and stand up for consumers rights or is that not part of your function. There is a consumer rights issue here and its about time you address it with some useful advice. Yes 1Gb a day is more than enough but thats not what people signed a contract for

Andÿ 17:14 10 Feb 2003

For a balanced view/thread??? :o)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:21 10 Feb 2003

Sorry Sophie but you are making a fuss about nothing. The people who will get capped are the ones who are REGULARY using over 1Gb/day. I fail to see how anyone could use 1Gb a day unless they were downloading industrial quantties from Kazaa and that is errrrm....illegal. You have the right to go elsewhere and this is the epitome of a storm in a teacup.

'It's not fair, we're only making a nice fat profit from 99.5% of our users'...you really have to do some reasearch before making gormless statements. NTL are LOSING massive amounts of cash with debts approaching £400m. *eyes raise*.

G

special sophie 17:34 10 Feb 2003

I can tell your not an NTL user

special sophie 17:38 10 Feb 2003

I really hate when men say i'm overeacting when i go out to buy a car i do not expect to recieve a scooter

special sophie 17:47 10 Feb 2003

And also do we have the right go elsewhere I have signed a 12 month contact for a particular service are NTL going to allow use to cancel that contract I guess only time will tell watch this space. This topic raises other issues like for instance will there be further restrictions, will there be usage charges and do not assume that just because people complain about this subject "they are downloading industrial quantties from Kazaa" as you put it.

microswift 17:49 10 Feb 2003

1Gb/day download is not a scooter.

special sophie 17:54 10 Feb 2003

thanks for pointing that out microswift you have enlighten me, now go forth and tell the world before it is to late for humanity :)

Forum Editor 18:07 10 Feb 2003

"I really hate when men say i'm overeacting" is really not on is it? Surely there is an element of overreaction, and you might well find that at least one other person posting in this thread is a woman - you have no way of knowing do you?

I am indeed here to "stand up for consumers' rights" as you put it, but not at the expense of a balanced view. Consumers don't have a "right" to download huge quantities of files from the internet anyway. There's no consumers' rights issue here at all - other than the right to vote with their credit cards if they don't like what's happening. If I spot another one I'll address it. In the meantime we're discussing a commercial decision taken by a commercial organisation, so let's stick to facts and leave the emotive language out of the equation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?