Novatech - Poor returns service.

The Kestrel 17:14 01 Apr 2005

I never thought I would write about Novatech this way, having used them several times and always previously received excellent service.

Last week, my Netgear USB wireless adapter stopped working, after less than a month of use. I contacted Novatech to arrange a return. The part was returned on Tuesday 22 March by guaranteed next day delivery. On Thursday I contacted Novatech to check whether the part had arrived. They confirmed that it had, but said it was unlikely that it could be checked before the Easter break - fair enough.

Having been away until yesterday, 31 March, I checked last night, on line, the progress of my return to find no progress had occured. This morning I 'phoned early and spoke to customer services. They in turn spoke to someone else and then told me that the part would be checked today and that I would be contacted by 'phone. By 4.30pm no call had come so I 'phoned again. I was told that the part had still not been looked at and that it would probably now be Tuesday. I pointed out how long this had been going on and the operator simply metaphorically shrugged his shoulders and was not prepared to do anything further to expidite the matter

I have now e-mailed a complaint to Novatech and await their response.

Portly 22:09 02 Apr 2005

Around 12 months ago I bought a Belkin modem / radio router from PC World. Six months later the power unit appeared to have died. I visited my local store the next day, checked it with a real person face to face, who confirmed the problem. Upon showing my receipt, I was invited to pick a new one from the shelf. I explained that I could do without the hassel of setting up again, and that it would be nice to take my original modem /router with a new power unit. I was told that this was no problem, and they checked that the old unit powered up ok.
30 minutes later I was back home and up and running, a very happy customer.
Not an unusual experience for me with this retailer.

Arnie 11:59 03 Apr 2005

I have bought a number of things from Novatech and have not had to return anything so far. However, I always check with my local shop Q-Tek before I order anything on the Internet.

I have found that on a number of occasions, if they stock the item they have very closely matched a competitive web price.

You can't beat personal attention.

The other problem is, some companies rely on their laurels and given time customer service can slip.

The Kestrel 14:16 05 Apr 2005

It is now Tuesday afternoon and still no response to my e-mail regarding the slowness of their returns service. This is despite the promise of a confirmation e-mail within one hour of receiving an e-mail from a customer. I guess it is back to the 'phone to chase them up once again. I will update on any progress later.

The Kestrel 14:42 05 Apr 2005

I have just spoken to Novatech customer services for the 5th time! I am informed they have finally tested the USB wireless adapter and found it faulty. They in turn have contacted Netgear (the manufacturer) to return the faulty product, and are awaiting a returns number from Netgear. They will then send off the adapter to Netgear, who will test it and if faulty send a replacement to Novatech who will then send it on to me.

I pointed out how long this had already taken, and that if it was faulty why could they not send me a replacement from their own stock, rather than wait for Netgear to send one to them and then they on to me. Of course that is not possible. Why you might ask? After all Novatech supplied me with the component not Netgear. In addition, why did Novatech not suggest I deal direct with Netgear if they knew that they (Netgear) would have to be involved in the process.

This is becoming very frustrating, and I am beginning to lose my patience with Novatech. I will certainly never again use them, and will not recommend them to others again.

The Kestrel 17:06 06 Apr 2005

I 'phoned Novatech again and complained about the length of time they had taken, and why they had not infomed me to go direct to Netgear to save time. I also asked to speak to the Customer Services manager as I was unhappy with the service I had received so far. After a couple of minutes of canned music, the advisor came back and said that in view of the time taken they were sending out a replacement from their own stock 'as a gesture of goodwill'.

The adapter arrived at 8.30 this morning and is now installed and working.

Joe R 17:20 06 Apr 2005

It's sad when a company of Novatech's standing seem to be letting their standards slip.

I ordered an USB 5 pin cable from them on the 25th of March, when they stated they had some in stock. Following no contact with the company for 8 days, I recieved an e-mail, stating that they had none available, and were awaiting new stocks.

Surely they could have been a little speedier in the reply, especially after the website had stated the cable was in stock.

spuds 18:26 06 Apr 2005

No such thing as a gesture of goodwill, when you are dealing with a faulty item click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?