Not PC related but Toasters and Kettles

jack 08:52 07 Mar 2006

Well this could also be PC related too.
Have any of you noticed that if you purchase a Kettle /Toaster in the £10-15 price range you will be very fortunate to get a full year of service from it before it dies. Indeed at one time over a period of 5 years we had great fun in changing kettles for free because each died before the warranty expired.
[Long gone are the days of the original Russell Hobbs that I kept going with element and switch parts for more than 20 years]. Then when it was 'Kettle time' again I decided to up the anti and paid £24 for one of those kettles with the flat plate type element and this time made in Eastern Europe as opposed to the Far East- So far it has kept going for 4 years[what have I said??]
This morning the £14 - 18 month old toaster died.
So the question is is there [to use a current buzz [phrase] tipping Point' for small electrical items where to price paid would give some indication of durability?
That £20 DVD player for example - a possible no no
The £50 one probably a yes yes
Or me as a weekend past- An XT tower case for £20 which cane with power supply[I was not expecting that -a bonus I thought] but it lasted 2 days, so the PSU I had in my Bitza box had to come into use as intended.

€dstowe 09:00 07 Mar 2006

The best kept secret in all of modern technology is the self destruct timer designed to operate two days after the warranty has expired and result in the irreparable failure of the equipment it is installed in. They are not exactly accurate as to the two days but there is a built in fail safe mechanism that prevents premature activation within warranty period.

spuds 09:17 07 Mar 2006

I tend to have things in my house, which seem to work forever (what have i said!).In fact people who visit often say, "How much is the entrance fee to this museum" :o).

bjh 09:20 07 Mar 2006

Note that everything that blows a fuse/melts/overheats/flashes to its doom just after the warranty is connected to THE MAINS!!! There are warranty centre offices (known as W.A.C.Os, similar to call centres) that monitor all our purchases, and direct a suitable power surge at precisely the correct moment for your gadget to fail (oh, and not only out of warranty, but just after the sale has ended). Proof??? Keep it in a box for a year and three days, and it works PERFECTLY!!!!

Oh, and have you noticed that, should you be foolishly refuse to splash out on one of those excellent-value extended warranty bargains offered by superstores, the salesman will just slip his hand inside the box briefly: he's removing the warranty tape that would prevent the fatal damage. (It's similar to battery compartment isolation tape, "please remove before use" stuff).

There is no answer...... but the truth is out there!

€dstowe 10:38 07 Mar 2006

You obviously bought before the self destruct mechanism was invented.

spuds 12:31 07 Mar 2006

I have a very old Philips television with an in-built teletext thermal printer (Only a few of these models were built,I believe)connected to various (tongue in cheek) devices like sat,freeview etc. People still say the picture quality of the tv is far better than their modern appliances.I think the self destruct mechanism supplied with that, was the modern day equivalent of a 14lb sledge-hammer :o).

wiz-king 13:09 07 Mar 2006

where I lived was on 200v mains supply and every house had a big lump of a transformer to step up to 230v. On day we got a letter to tell us that the electricity board was going to up us to 230v and that we would not notice any change -- they forgot to remove the transformers and we all got through light bulbs at a phenomenal rate until someone noticed and put in a claim.

Stuartli 14:03 07 Mar 2006

Unless your appliance is still under warranty it would actually be more expensive to have it repaired than buy a new one.

There's an old saying: Buy cheap, buy twice.

jack 17:23 07 Mar 2006

I oft wondered when trudging back to the Co-Op with yet another dud kettle- Do they get a refund from the wholesaler ,and do they turn get a refund/replacement container load for no. 1 kettle factory,High street Hong-Kong ?
I wonder how it all works?

Stuartli 17:28 07 Mar 2006

One of the UK's leading supermarket chains used to offer a three year warranty even on its oh so cheap appliances.

Try and get such a guarantee now....:-)

I'm reliably informed that the supermarket chain concerned had a warehouse that had rapidly filled with returned kettles, toasters and similar household appliances.

Hence the rapid end to the original guarantee period.

Starfox 18:12 07 Mar 2006

Was a Bendix purhcased in 1970 and still working in 1996 when we had a new kitchen fitted but because it was a top loader and would not fit under the new worktops it had to go and was replaced with a new Hotpoint.This was replaced after 8 months under warranty and packed in after another 18 months.

We are now on our fourth washing machine since and I don't hold out much hope of the present one lasting much longer.None of these machines were *cheap* by the way.

The original machine (the Benix) was made in England (Liverpool) but all the others were made in the far east,therein may lie the answer,or is it just co-incidence?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?