Not exactly a good deal! Dell @ PCWorld

lisa02 15:35 23 Jan 2008

click here

PCWorld £749

Dell website £649 with a bigger monitor!

You could shave another £20 off if you bought the 3rd gig of RAM elsewhere and installed it yourself.

pj123 17:08 23 Jan 2008

lisa02, agree, but then I never buy anything from PC World anyway.

Forum Editor 17:58 23 Jan 2008

you can walk into PCWorld and walk out with the Dell machine, whereas if you buy direct from Dell you'll have to wait. To some people that immediacy of availability is worth money. PC World has to make a profit on the machines it buys in from Dell, otherwise there wouldn't be any point. Dell makes a profit, too, so two businesses are involved - buy direct from the maker and only one company is making the profit, so you get the benefit.

I have purchased two computers from PC World quite recently - one desktop and one laptop - and I was delighted with the fact that I parked 30 feet from the door, walked around at my leisure, selected from a massive range of machines, all of which I could see working, and walked out with my new computer half an hour or so later.

Retail floor space costs money, and holding stocks of many different machines and other devices means lots of money tied up on shelves. That has to be paid for, as do the staff. Selling computers online means that staff costs are drastically reduced, and there's no need for huge stores. Dell does not hold huge stocks of finished machines, or even of hardware components - everything the company's factories need is delivered to them by suppliers on a 'just in time' basis. This reduces the amount of money that Dell has sitting on shelves to an absolute minimum, and enables the company to sell to you via the web at the lowest possible price.

oresome 18:02 23 Jan 2008

So who pays the lease on the expensive store and the sales staff wages? You do for the convenience of touching and seeing before buying.

No point in comparing eggs with pineapples.

Forum Editor 18:02 23 Jan 2008

that I am a big PC World fan. That wasn't the case a couple of years ago, but the company's attitude to customer service has come on by leaps and bounds since then, and PC World is now one of my favourite places to shop for hardware, if I need stuff immediately.

I buy online if I can afford to wait for delivery, but often I want to walk around a store and try something out before I make recommendations to clients.

oresome 18:02 23 Jan 2008

So who pays the lease on the expensive store and the sales staff wages? You do for the convenience of touching and seeing before buying.

No point in comparing eggs with pineapples.

lisa02 18:35 23 Jan 2008

"I should have added that I am a big PC World fan."

Well good for you but I don't think the average consumer likes them enough to give them over £100 more than they need to.

If they really need it in a hurry or can't be bothered to search for the best deal then fair enough. Personally I'd happily wait a week if I could get the computer £100 or so cheaper.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:37 23 Jan 2008

'If they really need it in a hurry or can't be bothered to search for the best deal then fair enough'...you are sadly mistaken if you think many people spend time scouring for the best deals or even waiting from them. Many retailers know this and make a lot of money from it.

G

Diodorus Siculus 18:41 23 Jan 2008

Has anyone ordered from Dell recently? I'm just wondering what their current turn around time is like as I'm looking to buy a laptop soon and like some of the Dell prices. No real hurry but would like an idea of how long Dell takes.

lisa02 18:48 23 Jan 2008

Bought one in December and one 3 weeks ago.

One Calendar week each time (5 working days) though the estimate is 2 weeks.

Diodorus Siculus 18:56 23 Jan 2008

Thanks, lisa02 - good news on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?