norton vs avg

acceptmyname 17:06 01 Jan 2008

my subscription to norton recently ran out and i was thinking of uninstalling and using AVG can anybody give some pro and cons plus what anti virus do they think is better and as AVG is free i am naturally a bit supicious ie is are the updates as good as norton plus norton comes with built in firewall so would i need to purchase a new firewall or can that also be downloaded.

Thanks in advance for advise

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:15 01 Jan 2008

Zonealarm is a freee firewall byut if you are on BB with XP or Vista just use windows own firewall which will be more than enough and saves a lot of faffing around. I have used AVG for 4-5 years and no viruses have been let through. There is much hype written about computer security and there is never any need for a home user to pay for protection.

G

acceptmyname 17:31 01 Jan 2008

Thanks GANDALF

Does AVG free edition have updates for the latest virus and such

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:33 01 Jan 2008

yes and you can auto download or do it manually. I rarely see any viruses thesedays though...lot of hype there as well.

G

HondaMan 17:33 01 Jan 2008

I get an update most days when I first go on-line

acceptmyname 17:38 01 Jan 2008

Thank you both very much

Strawballs 21:04 01 Jan 2008

Don't forget the only way to remove Norton is to use their utility click here=

birdface 14:28 02 Jan 2008

Norton Pro free for a year.click here

birdface 14:29 02 Jan 2008

Sorry that should be AVG Pro free for a year.

donki 15:17 02 Jan 2008

Norton is a serious resource HOG and I just dont like it. Like GANDALF I have used AVG for 4 years and aong with the XP firewall I have been virus free. The auto updates are downloaded and installed in the 5 - 10 seconds it takes for ur utilities to load, job done. Only other program I use is SpyBot search and destroy. So in my opinion 2 programs you can keep your computer clean.

Woolwell 15:43 02 Jan 2008

GANDALF <|:-)> trenchant views about security products are well known to regular readers of this forum however I am going to risk it and differ slightly. Personally with BB I want a better Firewall than XP's. There are a number of free firewall's available and I have not found that they need much "faffing around".

I have to agree with GANDALF <|:-)> that I haven't seen many viruses recently and maybe that is because I am careful where I browse and I don't download much. I will only download from sites which I am pretty sure are safe and then I scan for viruses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?