Norton Systemworks 2007\GoBack Free Upgrades

squillary 15:47 09 Apr 2007

A while back it was pointed out that Norton Internet Security 2006 and Norton Antivirus 2006 users could get a free upgrade to 2007 versions for the remainder of their subscriptions.

I did this a while back, which was very worthwhile due to the extensive streamlining (lower disk space footprint, lower resources, faster operation) but was mildly narked that Systemworks 2006 didn't integrate into it so well and I effectively had inconsistent LiveUpdate utilties with each package.

I followed a link from the latest Symantec Newsletter to discover that Systemworks and GoBack are now included in this offer and there's a consolidated page for updating NAV\NIS and now Systemworks with GoBack to 2007 versions.

click here then select "Feature updates for 2006 Norton Customers".

Systemworks integrates as a new tab, from which GoBack configuration is possible, though both GoBack, Ghost and Password Manager themselves now run as Standalone products rather than as a part of Systemworks 2007.

GoBack is upgraded from v4.01 (or v4.10.365 depending on where you got if from) to v4.20.10. None of the usual utilities seem to have changed greatly, but Disk Doctor runs about twice as fast, WinDoctor in about 2/3 the time and the Analysis part of SpeedDisk quicker too (not tried defragging yet). Liveupdate only exists in one version\form now as well.

I got a bit confused by the update page offering another NIS2007 as I'd already done that upgrade. I ran it anyway and it uninstalled NIS and NAV (gulp!) but running it again reinstalled and activated both automatically with a slightly tweaked user interface so it is another update.

Note: NSW\GB was a 97Mb download. NIS was another 47Mb and the add-on pack another 17Mb. All required quite a long installation time too, so make sure you have the download speeds and time for updating and rebooting.

sunny staines 08:31 10 Apr 2007

I thought systemworks 2006 was the last version and was not going to be updated as norton 360 would replace both nis & nsw.

squillary 17:58 16 Apr 2007

Maybe that's why it's completely free then? After a week I've found no drawbacks whatsoever - just quicker in every respect.

sunny staines 18:14 16 Apr 2007

thanks for the info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?