Is this normal?

Zetra 14:52 05 Aug 2010

i just received parts I ordered on a online store every thing looks fine except the graphics card. I don’t know if theres anything wrong with the card itself as I haven’t tried it yet, but the packaging and other content doesn’t look right.

The tape that’s supposed to seal the cards bag looks worn/opened and wasn’t even sealed when I got it. There are two DVI ports on the card one has a blue plastic cap on it the other ones left bare, the software CD cover looks worn and the bag the card came in has a few small rips in it.

Now when I looked at the site after I got the parts, the card is now currently out of stock. Even though that’s not a big deal I’m even more paranoid that I was before.

I could be making a big deal out of nothing here and this might even be laughable. any input would help

rickf 15:28 05 Aug 2010

It could be an unwanted and returned item and the seller has sold it to you. The seal really should not be broken. Give them a call immediately about it,

961 15:34 05 Aug 2010

If you're not happy it's your right to return it under the distance selling regulations

You should get a refund although you'll probably have to pay return carriage. You normally have 7 days from the day after receipt to advise return

Make sure to explain that the item is being returned in exactly the same condition that you received it

Alternatively if you wish to keep it explain your concerns by e-mail. Say that if it was a demo or a customer return unit you would expect a discount and the right to return for full refund if the item does not work

Zetra 18:03 05 Aug 2010

i just gave them a call, the guy said they received the card near the end of July and was shipped straight to me when I ordered. He also stated that the card wasn’t a returned item but it could have been the one that they tested.
It wasn’t clarified if it was used for testing though which is irritating.

For now I’ll put everything together and see if the card works. If it does I don’t mind keeping it, and I’ll write an email later today. I’d be surprised if I got a discount though.

spuds 18:05 05 Aug 2010

Definitely get in touch with the seller, regarding your concerns. It would seem as though the item is perhaps not new in the true sense, and is perhaps a returns, which might lead to further problems when you try the item out, and then try to reclaim a replacement or refund.

spuds 18:08 05 Aug 2010

Why would they want to test a brand new card, then send it out incomplete?.

gazzaho 05:54 09 Aug 2010

I myself would demand a new card or refund, as it's been opened you really don't know if it will work properly in the long term, there's no way for you to know if it's been treated roughly by another person while installing/uninstalling it in a machine or if static damage has occurred.

I would at least expect a reduction in price over the retail, if as he said it was a card they tested. This explanation doesn't ring true for me either, as spuds said why would a retailer test the product?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires