Non recognition of USB flash drive on PC

Australia 15:51 26 Jan 2007

Personal subscriber No: PCDV024077

Dear PC Advisor

I have been reading PC Advisor since March 2002 when the Top Ten charts were nearer the centre of the magazine and have read through many peoples problems that you have solved. I hope you will now be able to help me with my dilemma.
I purchased an LG mirror USB flash drive to copy data from my PC to my Laptop. This drive is, as I understand, (plug and play) so does not require any software to use it. It works on my Laptop, which is only four months old but does not work on my PC which is about 2 ½ years old.
So I wrote to LG and they wrote back saying it was to do with the motherboard in my PC. I then contacted Mesh who built the PC to ask if there was anything that could be done to resolve the problem. They were very quick to point out that as this was a software/third party issue I would need to contact their software support department at a cost of £1 per minute.
The LG mirror USB flash drive states that it works on the XP o.s. and since my PC runs on this I did not think there would be a problem. I have a (plug and play) mouse that works on the Laptop but not on the PC and there are about 4 USB outlets none of which work with these (plug and play) bits but work with other kit.
The motherboard is a K8VSEDX or K8VSFDX (ASUSTek version: Rev 1.xx)
AMD 64 3700+ socket 754.
ATHLON64 MB (ATX) -GB LAN/1394/SATAI RAID/ AUDIO(K8V-D)
AMD ATHLON 64 3700+ PROCESSOR
1024MB (2X 512MB) PC3200 DDR-MEMORY (400MHZ)
250GB ULTRA FAST (7200RPM) HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB BUFFER
SONY 8 X DVD REWRITABLE +R/-R/RW
52X CDRW & 16X DVD COMBO DRIVE (52X32X52X16)
256MB ATI RADEON X800 PRO TV OUT & DVI
19" TFT SONY SDM S94B ANALOGUE/DIGITAL FLAT SCREEN
CORDLESS D-TOP OPTICAL KEYBOARD & MOUSE (BLACK)
INTERNAL 6-IN-1 MEMORY CARD READER
MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME
NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007
CREATIVE SB AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM OEM (BLACK)
INTERNET READY WITH 56K DATA/FAX/VOICE MODEM
MS-WKSUITE2004, PINNACLE 9 SE,INSTANT CD/DVD+ PLAYER
I-TRIGUE 2.1 3300 SPEAKERS & SUBWOOFER
10/100/1000 MBPS ETHERNET LAN

I expect some of the above detail is superfluous but I hope this enough information for you to be able to come to a conclusion that will resolve my problem. In my interest of the GREEN issue I hope I will not need to buy another computer just yet.

Many Thanks

[email protected]

Kate B 16:26 26 Jan 2007

You'd be better off posting a shorter version of this in the helproom, and it's not a great idea to publish your email address online.

I can't think of any reason why your PC shouldn't recognise the flash drive if it's running XP - you could try doing an sfc/ scannow to repair any missing Windows files that might be the problem.

Australia 18:36 26 Jan 2007

Thank you Kate B but can you tell me where I need to be on my system to do sfc/ scannow.

Totally-braindead 18:43 26 Jan 2007

I agree with Kate B, what I would do is click contact the forum editor at the top right of this thread and ask him to delete it. And start a new thread in the helproom - but shorten it a bit if you can.
the sfc/scannow command is used from the run command.
START, RUN then type sfc/scannow and click OK.

Australia 19:26 26 Jan 2007

Totally-braindead, thankyou for that info, I have followed your instructions but the reply is (Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow) what can I do next.

postie24 19:30 26 Jan 2007

Make sure you leave a space between / & scannow

Postie24

Australia 19:40 26 Jan 2007

postie24, thankyou for that but even a space has come back with (Windows cannot find 'sfc/ scannow) what can I do next?

Mark_H 22:40 26 Jan 2007

hi before you do all that, check the usb drive is being recognised properly, the K8V motherboard should have no problem with it,

on your desktop, right mouse click on "my computer" and select "manage" , then in the pop up window that appears click on "disk management" and see if your usb drive is there, if it is click on "change drive letter and paths" then click on "change" and in the pull down selector change the drive letter to "m" then keep clicking "ok" till your back to your desktop, then click on "my computer" and see if it has appeard.

Australia 00:10 27 Jan 2007

Hi Mark H, I have tried what you have suggested but the USB is not listed, it should have been drive letter 'K' since I have a card reader installed. Thank you for replying.

Kate B 00:17 27 Jan 2007

Duff USB port? This sounds obvious but have you tried it in another one? If it works on your laptop it should be fine on the PC too.

Australia 06:41 27 Jan 2007

Hi Kate, yes I have tried it in other USB ports with no result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?