Non-faulty hard drive replaced. Data worries!

User-19C805A9-409E-465E-BB7EDA15A113C669 16:20 06 Sep 2007

Hi all.
I recently bought a new PC which suffered an intermittent problem with the power supply - which I (and the supplier by phone) diagnosed as a PSU issue.

Despite the issue, I managed to install some software, create email accounts, send/receive emails, update address books, download photos from my SD card etc.etc., which meant that the hard drive contained 'personal' information.

After invoking the 'collect and return' part of the warranty, I was surprised to find that the entire PC was replaced - therefore including the non-faulty hard drive!
I understand from various other threads, that (somehow) it is my responsibility to ensure that my personal data is protected from third parties, but I was naturally expecting the same hard drive back.

I've emailed the company asking for the old hard drive (and a returns label to send the new one back) - and also asked for permission to open the case to do the replacement, but by phone I was told to "forget about the old PC".

Do I still own the old hard drive if I didn't agree for it to be replaced? Can I demand it back given that it contains my data?

Any comments welcome!

RicScott 16:45 06 Sep 2007

Companies should insist that you backup your data and recover your PC before sending it into the hands of strangers...
On the other hand, some companies say, it's your personal data, you look after it.

Most repair companies will say their only concern is for the PC, not your data... You don't have to agree, verbally or otherwise for a company to replace certain parts.
You agreed by sending the PC in that they could do basically anything they wanted with it.

The company should destroy your hard drive under data protection, though, on the otherhand, as you have asked for the original HDD back, they should send it to you, if they still have it in one piece.

Thanks RicScott for your comments.

Unless the company is NOT going to
a. destroy the old hard drive and
b. pass off the other components as brand new,
doesn't it seem a very expensive way for them to upgrade the power supply - which is what they said they were going to do (at a small extra charge to me)?

PalaeoBill 20:22 06 Sep 2007

>Why though?

When a PSU goes, especially if it part of the voltage regulator at fault, it can damage other components of a PC. Some companies junk everything, others put some or all of the components through testing and then back into stock/refurbished stock. Obviously you can't be expected to wait whilst they do this so you got a new PC.
I would be very impressed with this kind of service from a supplier. If you read some of the threads here, many people get the same broken PC sent back to them several times.
Sorry you lost time and effort, but hey you got a new PC.

Thanks PalaeoBill - that seems an excellent explanation and I now agree I should probably view myself as lucky! (I also now feel guilty that I may have been a little stern in my email to them....)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?