No Ni CD batteries- Banned cadmium import ?

Diemmess 13:47 25 Mar 2010

Yonks ago I bought an AEG cordless (9.6v) drill

By the time the NiCd batteries were dud, replacement new packs were not available, so I bought tagged cells from Eurobatteries and rebuilt the pack/s.

The pack that has finished now has lasted nearly 7 years which is a credit to its quality. Couldn't find what I wanted on their website

Phoned Eurobatteries (now in Manchester not Bristol)
Laconic Mancunian said they didn't have them and more. "Importing cadmium is banned by EU!"
Same sort of edict that is causing so much fuss over light bulbs, and in my opinion the same sort of wooden headed blind obedience from our political masters?

Is this prohibition even true?

beeuuem 14:20 25 Mar 2010

It would seem that this could be true click here and click here

wiz-king 14:22 25 Mar 2010

Cadmium in batteries is covered by an exemption click here

wiz-king 14:33 25 Mar 2010

Still available in some sizes click here

beeuuem 14:39 25 Mar 2010

Always pays to look further. Thanks for that information.

Diemmess 16:11 25 Mar 2010

...packs needed for medical gizmos and many objects like drills!.

This AEG was a good bit of kit in its day and still has one working battery pack. No replacement packs have been available for this obsolete model in at least 7 years.

Unless someone shouts at me, I will probably gamble with NiMh tagged sub-C cells which are available and will hopefully charge on the fast charger I had with the drill.

robin_x 00:54 26 Mar 2010

Do some serious research first.

Lots of product recalls when even the manufacturers cant get battery packs and chargers right and they overheat/catch fire.

Especially Li-Ion.

Remember NiCds are 1.6V and NiMh 1.2V

Unless I knew the circuit diagram for a charger, I would not risk changing battery type.

Get a new drill? I like Bosch but they are a little pricey.

Last one I got was the cheaper B&Q own brand a few months ago. 18V Variable speed/hammer/torque settings etc...but it came with two Li-Ion batts which sold it to me.
Think it was £80

robin_x 00:56 26 Mar 2010

Mac Allister MHD18-2LI. Fine for last 6 months.

Mr Mistoffelees 06:55 26 Mar 2010

"Remember NiCds are 1.6V and NiMh 1.2V"

No, they are both 1.2V.

morddwyd 08:47 26 Mar 2010

Be careful with the charge rate, forget the voltage, on NiMh.

I once inadvertently charged some using a NiCad charger and they burst, not explosively but they leaked electrolyte all over (and ruined the NiCad charger - lesson learnt!).

Arnie 10:40 26 Mar 2010

it's possible to buy NiCad/NiMh intelligent chargers which will charge both types of cell.

If people have the ability to build their own chargers, make sure they can be current limited to to suit the battery pack being charged.

Keep to professionally built chargers for Li-Ion packs, even so they have been recalled for problems.
Such is modern technology!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache