no more 5yr guarentee with seagate HDD's

sunnystaines 11:17 15 Dec 2008

click here

going down to 3 years. Are they having problems with them them lasting.

The Brigadier 16:12 15 Dec 2008

More likely a down turn in business means they only want to offer 3 years.
Seagate are still a reliable HDD maker though.

sunnystaines 16:36 15 Dec 2008

my two drives are seagate and maxtor but only the seagate has 5 years guarentee. used the maxtor since 2002 for c drive still going strong.

961 18:56 15 Dec 2008

every manufacturer is counting the pennies

however, basically, if it works for the first year it will work for a LONG LONG time

3yrs, 5 yrs, who cares

They are good

laurie53 20:16 15 Dec 2008

If a hard drive failed after 4 years I would be looking to replace it anyway, the way storage technology moves on.

Stuartli 22:08 15 Dec 2008

Western Digital changed the terms of its hard drives warranties (depending on model range) at least a couple of years ago.

But I've never had any problems with them and my latest WD hard drive, a 320GB Caviar SE, has been going strong for around a year or more now.

The earlier WD drives are serving others in the family and one, at least, is around six years old now.

Stuartli 22:13 15 Dec 2008

Hard drives are now almost so stupidly cheap that you could buy two and use the spare for backup purposes.

I well recall paying £10 or more per gigabyte for a hard drive - the 320GB I mentioned earlier was £46 and, today, is even cheaper at between £36 and £37.60.

That works out at pennies per gigabyte...:-)

CurlyWhirly 10:09 16 Dec 2008

"But I've never had any problems with them and my latest WD hard drive, a 320GB Caviar SE, has been going strong for around a year or more now."
----------------------------------------------------------
My WD hard drive is at least 5 years old and still going strong!

click here

Uptime just under 19,000 hours.

This is only my second hard drive since I bought a PC back in 2001.

The first drive went after around 18 months but I can't remember what the make was now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?