no more 5yr guarentee with seagate HDD's

sunnystaines 11:17 15 Dec 2008

click here

going down to 3 years. Are they having problems with them them lasting.

The Brigadier 16:12 15 Dec 2008

More likely a down turn in business means they only want to offer 3 years.
Seagate are still a reliable HDD maker though.

sunnystaines 16:36 15 Dec 2008

my two drives are seagate and maxtor but only the seagate has 5 years guarentee. used the maxtor since 2002 for c drive still going strong.

961 18:56 15 Dec 2008

every manufacturer is counting the pennies

however, basically, if it works for the first year it will work for a LONG LONG time

3yrs, 5 yrs, who cares

They are good

laurie53 20:16 15 Dec 2008

If a hard drive failed after 4 years I would be looking to replace it anyway, the way storage technology moves on.

Stuartli 22:08 15 Dec 2008

Western Digital changed the terms of its hard drives warranties (depending on model range) at least a couple of years ago.

But I've never had any problems with them and my latest WD hard drive, a 320GB Caviar SE, has been going strong for around a year or more now.

The earlier WD drives are serving others in the family and one, at least, is around six years old now.

Stuartli 22:13 15 Dec 2008

Hard drives are now almost so stupidly cheap that you could buy two and use the spare for backup purposes.

I well recall paying £10 or more per gigabyte for a hard drive - the 320GB I mentioned earlier was £46 and, today, is even cheaper at between £36 and £37.60.

That works out at pennies per gigabyte...:-)

CurlyWhirly 10:09 16 Dec 2008

"But I've never had any problems with them and my latest WD hard drive, a 320GB Caviar SE, has been going strong for around a year or more now."
----------------------------------------------------------
My WD hard drive is at least 5 years old and still going strong!

click here

Uptime just under 19,000 hours.

This is only my second hard drive since I bought a PC back in 2001.

The first drive went after around 18 months but I can't remember what the make was now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017