Nikkor 24~85 f3.5~4.5 G (IF) ???

Magik ®© 08:37 12 Jul 2003

hi, has anyone got the above? if they have, could they please check if the focus ring just goes round with no stop at either end, it appears to work ok, when the button on the camera is depressed the lens zooms quickly in or out, it is just that my other lenses all stop at either infinity or their closest focusing point..thanks.

hope all that makes sense..............

ps: the camera is digital so it is all to do with PC's.............

Stuartli 14:38 12 Jul 2003

I presume you are describing a Nikon removable zoom lens?

If so, then when you attach it to the camera body the operating links come into action and control the lens functions.

But it is unusual not to have a fixed point at each end of the focussing ring's movement.

Magik ®© 16:00 12 Jul 2003

yes,I am....these are a fairly new range of lenses, what Nikon describe has having a silent wave motor built into the lens, for a start the lens has no aperture ring,that is also motor driven......as i said it works well, but i dont want to make myself look a complete pillock, if it is suppose to be like it....

Stuartli 18:00 12 Jul 2003

Then you have answered your own question.....:-)

Why not look at the Nikon camera website and see what it states about the concept of the lens?

Magik ®© 18:22 12 Jul 2003

good point, not one single word about it on there. even on the FAQ's

Stuartli 09:52 13 Jul 2003

If you paste the lens details, preceded by Nikon, into google you will find numerous descriptions of the system.

But if the lens works without problems it would appear something not to worry about, probably being intended to make life easier for those who are more interested in taking photographs, rather than eulolgising about cameras, lens apertures etc.

I know, as a photographer including a spell as a professional, for more than 50 years, I used to scorn automatic exposure, automatic focus and automatic flash exposure models.

Then I bought one (at the time Dixons bought out the entire Practika stock and sold full systems at crazily low prices) and realised that it made life somewhat easier.....

Brazils 10:34 13 Jul 2003

Check out this site

click here

Magik ®© 13:24 13 Jul 2003

thanks you for the help, and thanks for the link to the site, i am just going to register..

I shall leave the lens alone, unless i find out that it should have stops...thanks again.

Stuartli 15:10 13 Jul 2003

Another thought is that the fact that there are no end "stops" could be deliberate, with the lens on a rolling loop between its closest focussing distance and infinity; this would enable it to find the correct focus point much more quickly than moving backwards and forwards.

Magik ®© 15:23 13 Jul 2003

now that might be a very valid point, you may well be right........if i should find out, i will post the answer in case someone else gets one.......you might even get one, then you will know :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?