New system

chunkyd 09:47 16 Feb 2011

Hi All,

(i'm new to these forums so be gentle)
Just after some advice on a new system which i'm looking at purchasing

I've been in touch with a company that designs pc systems for your requirements and this is the system they have come back with

GIGABYTE GZ-M1 MICRO ATX CASE
Winpower 650W Standard Power Supply
AMD ATHLON II X2 250 (AM3, 3.00 GHZ, 2MB CACHE) CPU
ASUS M4A77T/USB3 ( Motherboard support upto 16GB RAM)
4GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM
ATI RADEON HD 5670 1GB PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD
LG 22X DUAL LAYER SATA DVD +/- REWRITER BLACK
500GB S-ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
ADDON 802.11N 300MBPS PCI WIRELESS NETWORK CARD
10/100/1000 Gigabit Network
2 x USB2.0 Ports on Front
4 x USB2.0 Ports on Back
2 x USB3.0 Ports on Back
6 Chanel HD Audio
MICROSOFT 64BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM
Warranty: 2 Years Return To Base (1st Year Parts & Labour, 2nd Year Labour Only)
All for £480 - i know the AMD processor isnt the best around but initially i'm looking at keeping the cost down and then upgrading the system in the future - but it's not going to be used (just yet) for any high powered gaming
Is this a good price for the system quoted? and is this setup good for upgrading to higher power hardware in the future

Thanks in advance

rickf 10:16 16 Feb 2011

To be honest for that money I would expect an Athlon IIx4. I believe the M/b is able to take any AMD3 socket CPU'S so for the future maybe a AMD Phenom 6 core. Double check with the retailer though. The Graphics Card is slightly better than average.

chunkyd 11:26 16 Feb 2011

Cheers rickf

Been in touch with the retailer about the Athlon IIx4 and waiting for a reply.
Yep the motherboard is able to take any AMD3 CPU's which is why they have included it as I wanted the pc setup to enable me to upgrade in teh future

jaraba 11:57 17 Feb 2011

Maybe you should search th forums etc for posts about the company before you part with any money just in case.

chunkyd 12:39 17 Feb 2011

already have done and they've won a few awards from pc advisor and a couple of other magazines/sites and so on - click here - so far the customer service from these guys has been brilliant and they've updraded the case and a few tweeks here and there for no extra charge -
But will know more when I receive the pc

citadel 17:20 19 Feb 2011

as you wish to upgrade later it is important to have a quality psu eg. enermax, antec etc and a case that will take a large graphics card with good cooling. i know this puts price up but saves buying twice.

GaT7 19:00 19 Feb 2011

What do you intend using the PC for?

I agree with citadel about a better quality PSU & bigger, full ATX case.

Apart from Winpower/generic PSUs they only seem to be offering Antec, Coolermaster & Xilence ones - Antec & Coolermaster will be better than the others.

The Antec 300 case isn't too bad click here & click here with max GPU length of 11-11.5". The Gigabyte GZ-M1 will probably be able to take one of about 9" max (but don't quote me on this). G

techNick27 21:31 19 Feb 2011

have you already ordered the PC? let us know how it has been?

chunkyd 11:48 21 Feb 2011

They've upgraded the case to a Gigabyte GZ-X6 ATX case, done a bit of research on the case and it seems pretty good, 2 cooling fans think there's more room for the GPU and an upgraded PSU for no extra cost
Ordered it late last week so should receive delivery at the end of this week, will let you know how it is

Terry Brown 15:11 21 Feb 2011

I do not know who you are buying from , but this company has some good deals and a good write up.

Pcadviser comments click here

Company link
click here

Terry

chunkyd 12:10 03 Mar 2011

Had the PC for about a week now and so far no problems and it's looking like a really good build
On the windows system test it's all rated 7 and above except the processor which is around 6.4 and hard drive speed which is lagging at 5.9

Using remote accesses is quick, copes well with media files, no skipping on movie playback, not tried any gaming yet though

So all in all so far so good

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?