New rules for Ebay business sellers

Wilham 12:47 16 Apr 2008

Ebay business sellers after 1st May have to accept returns for fixed price items returned within 14 days of receipt. click here

I note the refund will include the original postage, though not necessarily the return cost.

As a buyer, two questions come to mind... How can I confidently distinguish between private and business sellers? If an item has a starting price £3.90 with a 'buy now' figure £4.00, is it money-back exempt because not fixed price?

belfman 13:43 16 Apr 2008

Does it not state on the listing that they are a Business Seller?

I'll hazard a guess here. If you choose the 'Buy It Now' price then the new rule applies. If you place a bid the BIN option disappears and it runs as an auction.

spuds 14:08 16 Apr 2008

This is all to do with the way some 'trade and/or business' sellers have or have not implemented the Distance Selling regulations and other consumer laws in their terms. Ignorance of the consumer or trader perhaps!. There are certain rules covering this which can be obtained from Trading Standards and their website. Further improvements are being made as from 26 May 2008 regarding purchasing from our EU partners.

As a general rule of thumb, a trader can usually be identified by their feedback ratings and how many items they sell.So in theory, a 'private' seller, who sell 100 items a year, could perhaps be classed as a business in terms of tax returns and eBay status. If you look at the link provided, eBay have taken this into consideration.

Wilham 16:21 16 Apr 2008

belfman
Where I see 'Power Seller' or 'Visit my shop' I know it's a business seller. Perhaps it will be clear about the rest when the new rules come in. Your 'option' guess could be right, but why is a start price on occasion so close to the 'buy now'?

spuds
Interesting comment, thanks. I bought some original toner carts recently, as singles. One seller had feedback over 30,000 yet no 'shop' or 'power seller'. The cartridge is fine, cost me £30, well below half price. I think you're right, status is connected with tax returns.
Elsewhere, another item was an 8mm film editor. After purchase I needed to know if the optics were original.
The seller was sorry he couldn't help, and explained the editor came from the loft in a house clearance.

From more than 100 Ebay buys over four years I estimate less than 25 openly have been business registered, 25 have been casual sellers, and the rest part-time or hobby 'traders', such as that house clearer.

spuds 18:58 16 Apr 2008

Wilham

Some people use Buy Now and start prices, hoping to sell the item for the price that they regard is good. Adding a start price (which cancels after a bid price as been placed) offers a better incentive, if people want to compete against each other. Doing this, instead of placing a 'mystery' reserve price, makes a potential buyer think that item might be worth bidding for, as the sellers price is already known.

The same might apply to multiple same item auctions, or perhaps Best Offers.With Best Offers, the final price offered by a potential buyer, is left for the seller to decide.

Wilham 21:39 16 Apr 2008

spuds
It makes sense, and thank you for those thoughts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?