New PC Purchase from Chillblast

ajm 07:06 25 Feb 2011

As someone working from home and using the machine for mostly office work and a fair bit of graphics work and running multiple applications on 2 Samsung 26" TFTs, my 2 year old HP base ubit seems a tad slow.(Core2Duo 1.8Ghz, 4GB ram, 320GB HDD,NVidia GeoForce 9500 GT 512MB) I have looked at Chillblast base units and have enquired about their machine and they recommended the following priced around £950.00.Will it be worth it? Any advice appreciated.

Chillblast Fusion Beachhead
Intel Core i5 2500K Processor overclocked up to 4GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
Asus P8P67-LE Motherboard with USB 3.0
ATi Radeon 6850 1GB Graphics Card
Cooler Master Elite 370 Case
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
Samsung Blu Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combo Drive
1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
500watt Xigmatek PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM

I am Spartacus 11:32 25 Feb 2011

I would say it's overpriced (price up the components yourself to see) plus:

You won't need a HD6850 unless you're gaming;
The motherboard will have to be swapped out at some stage unless it's the B3 revision with revised SATA 3 chipset;
4GB RAM should be sufficient;
I'd spec Windows 7 Home Premium unless you need XP mode that 'Professional' provides;
I'd do some research to find out who makes Xigmatech PSUs or consider a known quality brand.

This would have been better in Consumerwatch.

ajm 12:00 25 Feb 2011

Thank you for your comments. Being in the IT field, but mostly dealing with software and networks for small business, my knowledge is very limited to the hardware components and hence I thought that this machine will do all I need to do. I need Windows 7 Pro as I will be connecting to a domain server.

I have also asked a friend who is more knowledgeable in building PCs and will ask him for his advice as well.

Forum Editor 23:01 25 Feb 2011

from Speakers Corner.

Jonathan314159 11:51 27 Feb 2011

Agree with most of Spartacus' comments, but I can't see anyone else selling computers with those specs at less than Chillblast (I've been looking...) - that computer seems good value to me, with my main concern being the known issue with the motherboards for the new Intel chips.

I am Spartacus 12:23 27 Feb 2011

I've just priced up all the components at Scan and used Corsair RAM and a Corsair 500W PSU in the calculations. Everything listed in the Chillblast system comes in at £770 so they are charging £180 for a 4GHz overclock and assembly (That's ignoring the fact they will have paid lower prices for the components in the first place).

That seems a higher than normal premium and would persuade me to build it from components myself (I would anyway). Bear in mind that the brand of some of the components isn't listed in the Chillblast spec so could be the cheapest possible parts available.

I am Spartacus 12:33 27 Feb 2011

I was wrong. I just realised that it also comes with a 24" Monitor (£150) so isn't in fact overpriced.

ajm 12:35 27 Feb 2011

The price given by Chillblast is just for the base unit only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?