New PC & Laptop

blocker11 08:50 16 Oct 2009

Could someone please send me in the right direction for new pc's and laptop's.

I'm looking to spend £1000 max on a PC which will be used for mostly games, music and browsing. The wife also wants a laptop purely for Browsing and a bit of work (i.e word, excel etc).

Is it worth getting a package deal from the likes of PC World or is there better alternatives out there?

Thanks

The Kestrel 14:49 16 Oct 2009

If you are happy to configure you own PC from a list of alternative components then try Cougar Extreme click here . They come well recommended on this forum and I purchased my PC from them. They have excellent customer service and will give informed advice over the 'phone if required.

nutjob 18:12 16 Oct 2009

Im in same position. Ive used CE before, very good like most think. But recent changes to website are a joke.

The prices are alot more now, they have not got the new ATI cards in yet, the I5 computer builds are at least £50 more than any other site.

The prices of the current cards need changing(im aussiming that will happen when new cards come in).

The PSU options are a joke, no one wants cheap branded PSU, they give you option of a few cheap ones, then the decent ones cost like £70+

No Windows 7 pre order option, Vista costing £90!

Add in the new delivery charge!

Im sorry but whoever done the recent changes to the website needs shooting. Don't ruin a good site by overpricing people for old tech.

Im eager to spend my money with them, but not with current prices & outdated tech.

birdface 10:19 21 Oct 2009

You could have a look through here and see if there is anything that you fancy.

click here

Chez1 17:09 27 Oct 2009

I dont know a great deal about laptops but for a new pc i would recommend that you have a look at Cube247. Ive bought quite a few systems from them and they are excellent. There are plenty of system under £1000. The only thing i can fault them on is the delivery costs. I think its £40 for a package system to be delivered but every time ive ordered from them its been over a weekend when they are running a free delivery promotion. They seem to run these most weekends!

have a look on their website, there plenty of systems to choose from and the good thing is they will built it to your specification. So even if you have a spec in mind that they dont advertise, if you give them a call they are more than likely to build it for you.

ape3000 17:05 02 Nov 2009

I wouldnt recommend PC World, but thats just my opinion and past experience using them. Why not try Pricemeup.com and let suppliers come to you with their best deals. Just say what you need and how much you can afford.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?