New PC decision.....

Dellman 11:57 15 Sep 2009

New PC decision...

I am looking to replace my existing 5 year old desktop Family PC. We are not a big "gaming family" on PC - kids aged 10 and 6 currently do alot of gaming through the Wii!!! They do limited internet based gaming - "platform" type games. Otherwise, Family PC used for Web browsing, emails, occasional Video editing, photo managament/editing, music/movie downloads. I would want to also have some element of future-proofing in whatever we buy.

I have come across/configured the below from Cougar:

Cougar Extreme Online

CEDBLUSN000[] (AM2 Phenom X3 8650 2.3 GHz 2 MB Cache, 4GB Corsair Memory DDR3 1333 (2 x 2gb), 500GB SATA Hard Drive, , , , 512mb 9400GT PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI, AM3 Asrock N68PV-GS INT - DDR2 1066x2 Nvidia 750 chipset, DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, 19 Inch Cougar Extreme Wide Screen TFT, Microsoft multimedia keyboard & mouse, Integrated Sound Card, Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set, , 64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem, No Additional Software, ) (remove) £505.90

Internal 3.5Inch Card Reader (remove) £7.00

PCI Firewire Card (remove) £4.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal £516.90
Current shipping is Please SelectShip as selected above £0.00Customer Store Collection £0.00Telephone Quote £0.00Components, Processors, motherboards, etc. £10.00Cables, CD £5.00 Shipping £0.00
Tax (Inc) £67.42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currency is British Pound Total £516.90

Is this a good spec and price? I have not come across Cougar (having previously used Dell and Mesh). How do Cougar compare? Also, in terms of above Processor Spec, how does AMD compare to Intel?

mr simon 13:07 15 Sep 2009

Seeing as the computer is 5 years old, might I suggest waiting for just one more month before purchasing. Windows 7 comes out on the 22nd of October, and we will see a shift in the computing market as we always do with a new OS. I would recommend Windows 7, but Vista PCs should get slightly cheaper too.

It might be worth contacting Cougar and asking if there is an option for a free upgrade voucher?

Dellman 21:18 15 Sep 2009

What is the difference between 32 and 64 bit Windows Vista. Does it make much difference as to which I go for? Also, what is the difference between RAM specs of DDR 800 and DDR 1066? Is there any compatability/performance issues to be taken into account dependant on say the type of Processor used? Any preference in Intel vs AMD?

Dellman 09:33 16 Sep 2009

Anyone able to respond to my last post? Thanks.

OTT_Buzzard 10:45 16 Sep 2009

Anyone able to respond to my last post?

Of course!

What is the difference between 32 and 64 bit Windows Vista? In the way that the user interfaces, there is virtually no difference whatsoever. In the way the the operating system works 'behind the scenes', there's quite a lot of difference. It does make a difference which you go for. If you are getting 4gb or more RAM (4gb is the magic number here) the a 64 bit operatng system may benefit you. 32 bit OS's have a 3.5gb(ish) limit on how much RAM they can recognise. 64 bit OS's do not have this limitiation.

Before you make a decision on it check to make sure that all your software will work on 64 bit OS and 64 bit OS hardware drivers are available.

what is the difference between RAM specs of DDR 800 and DDR 1066?

Operating frequency; 800MHz vs 1066MHz. In reality you will notice almost no difference between the two. IF you intend to overclock your new PC then go for 1066MHz, if not it really doesn't make any difference so don;t let it be a selling point.

Is there any compatability/performance issues to be taken into account dependant on say the type of Processor used?

Compatibility, no. Performance, yes. This is a very very broad ranging subject.....to broad to make much comment on!

Any preference in Intel vs AMD?

At present, Intel gets my vote every time..

Dellman 11:47 16 Sep 2009

In terms of the spec above therefore that I have been quoted on, what would be the Intel equivalent processor for the AM2 Phenom X3 8650 2.3 GHz 2 MB Cache?

Also what is the difference between dual core and quad?

Dellman 13:05 16 Sep 2009

Anyone able to respond on my last question above ^^^^^^?

OTT_Buzzard 13:17 16 Sep 2009

There's no direct competitor intel processor to the AMD X3 chip.....price wise you'd be looking at the Intel E5400.

Be careful when you talk / read about dual core processors. There is a difference between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo, but the upshot is that a Core 2 Duo / Dual core have two processing cores on a single chip whereas the quad core has 4 processing cores.

The AMD X3 chip you have referenced above has 3 processing cores.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?