New PC Check

Tolks 12:23 24 Sep 2006

First of has anyone heard of cyberpowersystem.co.uk, I'm thinking of buying a new prebuilt from them. Looked around on the internet for reviews; most seemed ok and the ones that were bad mainly focused on delivery rather than the quality of the system itself.

Anyway this is the build i was thinking of:
(using the custom intel configurator click here)

NZXT LEXA Tower

NZXT PF-500 500Watt power supply

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset LGA775 Mobo

(Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Edition @ 2.93GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache

INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader
2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Gaming LCD ViewSonic VX922 19" (2ms White-Black-White Typ) SXGA LCD Display Monitor

2 * 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

SONY 16X DVD-ROM
SONY DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

Creative Labs X-FI XtremeMusic 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 Configuration Speakers System

Is this a good setup?
Main points i'm not sure about:

1) Is the extreme edition core 2 duo worth it or would i be better of getting better cooling and a lower processor then overclocking it (saving a cosiderable sum of money)?
2) Should i get a lower spec graphics card then wait for the new DX10 cards to come out and upgrade then?
3) The difference between SLI and CrossFire chipsets avaliable to choose from. How does this limit me in gpu choice?
4) What else would you change and why?

Thanks for help!

Tolks 12:24 24 Sep 2006

P.S. System comes in at £2183 including VAT and delivery

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:31 24 Sep 2006

Please tell me that you are going to use this for games and not just for word processing.

G

pc613 12:36 24 Sep 2006

check their warranty details cause if i'm not mistaken the cost of any returns for repair is up to the customer

Tolks 13:03 24 Sep 2006

Gandalf: Yes for games, and other graphics intense situations. Along with word processing for work to.

pc613: Thanks for the heads up, ill have a look. Have you ever used this company before or know the likely hood that ill have to return/repair at any point?

Tolks 13:12 24 Sep 2006

I checked the warranty and as far as i could see there is nothing about the owner having to pay for returns/repair. Full refund for first 30 days, refund with 15% taken off for any time after 30 days upto 45 days.
Repair/replacement of any items damage/dead/incorrect function on arrival.
etc.

I'm not law expert though so if you can refer to anything in particular from warranty please tell me.

pc613 13:23 24 Sep 2006

tolks

It's paragraph six "You must ship the product shipping charges prepaid, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment"

I could be reading the wrong way round of course(my pain killers do have a tendancy to screw up short term menory)

Tolks 15:29 24 Sep 2006

Ahh thanks, so I have to pay for first shipping for a return/replacement. And they will pay for shipping back to me. I think I can live with that considering their prices are very good for the specs.

pc613 do you have any advice on the build and the four points I’m not sure about? My knowledge of hardware isn’t so hot but i did some research and tried to put together a good machine. Also, apart from the point on the warranty you mentioned do you know anything else about the company?
Appreciate it!

pc613 18:32 24 Sep 2006

tolks

If you intend to add a second nvidia 7950 at a later date I would surgest you go for a 600w or 700w psu if your going to stay with one card you might want to look at the new ati 1950xtx 512mb as it compares very well to the 7950

Apart from that if its in budget stay with the intel 6800+ extreme nothing beats it at the moment and I have always been a fan of amd up till now.
I did a quick forum search for you and only came up with one item which gave cyberpower a very good report. Hope this helps.

josie mayhem 19:41 24 Sep 2006

I wouldn't go down the overclocking root....

If you drop the processor spec, there no guranttee that you will be able to overclock to the spped you want, and the biggest problem, there always comes a risk with overclocking, the ability of actualy killing the processor and motherboard in one foul swoop.

Tolks 10:48 25 Sep 2006

Ok a few last questions:

When windows vistas comes out this comp would be able to run it (meets hardware requirements).
Will I have access to all features, i heard that 32 bit machines get some features of vistas restricted (core 2 duo is 64bit right?)?

Also will the new DX10 cards be compatible with this (as far as people know) for later upgrade.

If i go with an ATI card does that mean I have to get a crossFire mobo if i want to add a second card later. Like I said i'm not to sure of the difference between Crossfire and SLI. Do they restrict your choice of graphics card in anyway?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?