new pc case but only 20 pin power plug

howard64 20:48 31 May 2007

I have just purchased the parts to build a pc for a friend. The case was reasonably priced with a 400W psu. There was no mention of the fact that the power supply to the mobo was only 20 pins like the old ones had. Surely this is shoddy practise as there was no mention on the web site that this was old obsolete stock. They are now sending me a 20 pin to 24 pin converter.As they seem genuinly suprised that I consider this to be old stock I will not name them until I see if the converter works. The pc does not power up with only the 20pin plug connected it does by the way have the separate square 4 pin plug. I shall have to consider long and hard before ordering from them again.

Totally-braindead 21:51 31 May 2007

You can still buy 20 pin power supplies and I would not consider them old stock either, and calling it obsolete is a bit OTT, they still sell motherboards with 20 pin inputs so its not exactly obsolete.
I think you're frustrated and being just a tad rough on whatever company it is.
I agree that perhaps it would have been a better idea to mention in the description that it was only a 20 pin power supply but saying shoddy, old and obsolete is a bit over the top.
The adaptor will work as long as the 400 watts is enough for all the hardware including graphics cards.

Stuartli 23:14 31 May 2007

The adapter is a common addition and you shouldn't lose out at all using it.

In fact they are sold separately as well as being supplied with PSUs where appropriate.

howard64 14:19 01 Jun 2007

while I agree that there are still mobos about that are only 20 pin I do not know of any that are being sold as cutting edge. Obviously replacement power supplies need to be available for older systems but I am talking about a new case being sold as a. Vista suitable and b. with front usb connections. I think decent companies should make sure that all the info is available on their sites.

Totally-braindead 22:40 01 Jun 2007

While I agree with you that it probably should be mentioned what sort of power supply you get with a case howard64 it still isn't shoddy, old and obsolete.
I'm sure if you bought a PC case and power supply from numerous venders you would discover most if not all were still using the 20 pin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017