new pc advice welcomed

666River 05:07 04 Jul 2008

Hi first post..in any forum, ever!

ive spent the last two days trying to build a custom computer on all sorts of websites and kinda got a combination i think is ok,but i aint to hot with my computer knowledge so before i actually go to buy i would appreciate any input on the spec ive come up with.

Its from cyberpower:

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache
MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC8500 DDR2/1066Mhz Dual Channel Memory [+68] (Corsair Dominator
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E x16 512MB
MOTHERBOARD: (QX9650 support) Asus P5K SE/EPU Intel P35 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800
optical drive:LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Reader / DVD±R/±RW Writer
POWER SUPPLY: LC Silent Giant 550W Power Supply 140mm
FAN: Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1(32-bit)
MONITOR: Samsung SM920NW 19" Wide 5ms TFT LCD
price: £1100

£1100 is my limit btw. i mainly want the system for games. one thing im not sure about at all is monitors, 19" is fine but would i be better buying somewhere else seperatly rather than the extra £124 im paying here.

Cheers Everyone

citadel 19:53 04 Jul 2008

I would get a large case to give plenty of room and cooling, coolermaster cosmos or stacker.
4g of ram as its cheap and vista loves ram.
enermax pro82 625 psu.
for gaming a 22" widescreen samsung 226bw.

FatboySlim71 22:13 04 Jul 2008

Why not give Cougar Extreme a try click here

I got a PC from them about 4-5 months ago and its superb, very well built, excellent aftersales and loads of customization options and high quality parts/components.

Do a search on here for Cougar Extreme and you will see how highly they are thought of.

I chose them after reading all the comments on here and I have not regretted it.

I found that for the spec of PC that I got and the quality of the components that the price I paid was reasonable.

666River 02:48 05 Jul 2008

FatboySlim71

Thanks for the info on Cougar Extreme,having had a look at their site and the general opinion on this site im going to be giving them a go. Built a system on their site and managed to get (hopefully) a better system for my pounds!

Citadel

having saved some pounds I will be getting some more RAM,although what is more important,amount of gigs or speed?

Thanx people

Rita99 04:49 05 Jul 2008

Hi guy,
Just found some mini pc interested,so I would like to recommend it to you,you can have a try of them and see how they are??
click here
Rita

FatboySlim71 09:34 05 Jul 2008

On the PC I got from Cougar Extreme I got Vista and 4GB ram, the processor I chose was the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. I find this an excellent processor. The system I got built is very fast and makes light work of anything you throw at it.

Not wishing to confuse things but there is no point in going for more than 4 GB ram on a 32 bit operating system as it will not be recognized, I have 4 GB ram in my machine but it only shows up has 3.5 GB, the reason for this is because my graphics card has 512mb (half of a GB) of memory on it, so Windows has basically took the 512 mb (half of a GB) off of the 4GB ram and that's where the figure of 3.5GB comes from.

The processor I mentioned (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600) is available in the G0 SLACR spec/revision, this is said to run cooler and is very easy to overclock (if that's important to you). Prior to me ordering my system I telephoned Cougar and asked them if the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 that they use were the G0 SLACR spec, they told me that they were, it might be worth telephoning Cougar (if you decide to get your computer from them) to confirm that they still use the G0 SLACR revision Q6600.

One more thing; with you going for a high performance machine, I would advise on going for a good power supply, you will have probably noticed the wide range of power supplies on Cougar's site, I went for a Corsair HX620, it wasn't cheap but I believe that a high performance system should have a really good quality power supply and that's what the Corsair HX620 is, or the Corsair brand in general, also go for a big case as I believe these are better for air circulation and also make sure that it has plenty of cooling fans, the case I went for (GIGABYTE 3D Aurora) has a large cooling fan at the very front and 2 large fans at the rear, with the fans been large they only need to spin at 1000 rpm and as such are very quiet, whereas with some of the small fans they need to spin faster due to their smaller size and can be noisier.

If you do a search on the net for reviews on the Corsair HX620 (or other Corsair power supplies) you will see how highly they are rated, Corsair comes with a 5 year warranty so this gives you some idea of the quality of them. Even the RAM that Cougar use is of a very high quality (mine has Corsair XMS installed) where with any other system I have bought it has had memory that was either unbranded or a make that I had never heard of.

The motherboard I picked was a Gigabyte GAP35-DQ6, I find this to be a really good quality motherboard, I'm sure that if you decided to go to Cougar for your PC, if you were to telephone them they would be able to advise you on some parts/components that you were may be not sure on :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?