New PC advice wanted please...

mobypaterson 10:52 05 Jan 2006

Good evening all

My first post on these forums is to seek out some of you guys knowledgable advice.
I'm going to replace my desktop at some point in the next three months as my current modek is getting a wee bit long in the tooth as they say (450mhz processor, 128mb RAM, you get the idea!)

I came across click here (anyone had any dealings with these guys?) and they have this for sale :

AMD® ATHLON® 64BIT 3200 (Venice) 512kb L2 Cache (939 pin)

1024 MB DDR400 PC3200 WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY!

ASUS® A8N-E: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, x16 slot, 3 PCI etc

SIX USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT)

SATA 160 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 8mb cache

DVD ROM/Combi Drive

16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM

CD/DVD Writer

4x +R DUAL LYR DVD WRITER (16x +/-R) (& RW) + 40x CD-RW (£25)

256MB RADEON X800XL PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

HIGH END ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL SOUND (RECOMMENDED)

10/100/1000 NETWORK CARD FOR BROADBAND

INTERNAL 12 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT) (NO FLOPPY)

17 INCH TFT SILVER/BLACK 1280 X 1024 RES: 12MS

Stylish Black X-Plode Case + 2 Front USB
Silent 400W PSU + 80mm internal Fan
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP HOME (inc. original CD & licence) (£59)
3 PORT FIREWIRE CARD
Black Logitech® Internet Keyboard + Hotkeys
Black Logitech® Premium Optical Mouse

All this in a box for 891 pounds delivered to my door.

I'd be especially interested if someone could tell me the main differences between AMD and Pentium processors, the graphics card I've chosen (it gets some rave reviews on various sites I've checked) and the refresh rate of the monitor (what should I be looking out for gaming wise?)

I plan to use the PC to get back into gaming as I'm completely out of touch (and with my current machines spec' are you surprised?)

If anyone helps me out with some advice I'll love ya, if not then take out a contract on my head (click here) and I'll consider the matter closed.

MP

Warranty
1 Year Return-to-Base Warranty + 1 Month Free Collect & Return

Totally-braindead 11:20 05 Jan 2006

At first glance it looks good, good make motherboard and excellent graphics card, SATA and PCI Express and plenty of USB ports. I see you get original Windows with the disk, good as well.

Only things that would concern me at all, and I do think its good for the money. Check the ASUS website to ensure this motherboard can take newer dual core processors in a year or so when the prices hopefully drop or at least a faster one than it now has for future upgrading. And the TFT is non branded which may/may not be a problem. It used to be that everyone ranted and raved about how the fastest response time was what was most important. I am not certain that this is now the case, mine is 12ms and its fine for gaming, a friend has a cheapo TFT as well and his is meant to be 8ms and to be honest mine is a lot clearer especially when things hot up in a game. If you can afford it and are really going to be into gaming it may be a worthwhile investment in considering another TFT, have a look at the charts and reviews and if you can go to PC World, Comets etc and try to see them before buying especially when they play moving pictures as this is when some of them get blurry, the newer TFTs are quoting a response rate between 8ms and I've even seen a few 4ms ones. Warranty is a bit low in that its return to base and not on site but apart from that its fine. Can't say anything about the company at all as I haven't heard of them but if you leave the thread open I'm sure there will be someone who has and has had dealings with them.

spuds 12:37 05 Jan 2006

Someone with a similar question click here

mobypaterson 14:19 05 Jan 2006

Cheers for that. I think I might leave the monitor out of the package and spend the 200 quid on a 19 inch samsung or some other. I've read a few reviews of some models...

Cheers for the heads up on future upgrades that's something I hadn't considered!

rmcqua 14:23 05 Jan 2006

mobypaterson
I've recently bought one of the newer Samsung 19" 4ms TFTs at around £200. It's excellent. If you go for one of those, you will not be disappointed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?