New PC

neilwalker1970 20:56 26 Aug 2008

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a new PC for games and photoediting. I'm not sure where to start as regards specs. I already have a 17" flat screen monitor. I also have a HP Inkjet printer but as that only seems to have parallel port connections I presume I'm going to have to replace it with one with a USB port. I really don't want to spend more than about £600 - £700 on it.

I though of going to Dell as they seem to have an after sales service. Is this any good?

Thanks

Quiet Life 23:34 26 Aug 2008

Printer. You can get adapter cables click here

The Kestrel 15:13 28 Aug 2008

Go to Cougar systems click here and have a look at their website. If you are not sure what you want/need, I suggest you telephone them and ask to speak to Mario, the owner I think. He will talk you through with you what you need and will help you spec your PC. This company has been recommended by many members on this forum. I bought my PC from them over a year ago now and have been pleased with it and had no problems at all.

GaT7 15:56 28 Aug 2008

For that kind of budget, minimum you should aim for is a good Intel Core 2 Duo (or quadcore) CPU & a HD 4850 graphics card. This pre-overclocked quad-core PC with a HD 4850 is £686 with an OS click here. Similar PCs here click here.

Unfortunately Dell's present 'gaming' standard PCs aren't very good for the money at the moment - i.e. unless you're willing to do a few upgrades. See my suggestion on Thu, [email protected]:54 in this thread click here. You'll struggle to find better value than that.

Provided the PC you'll be getting has at least 1 PCI (or PCI-E) slot free, you can get a parallel port PCI/PCI-E card for your printer, e.g. PCI click here, & PCI-E click here. G

P.S. This Dell comes with a 22" monitor & all-in-one printer for £479 click here, but is out of stock at the moment. That's another PC that can be upgraded with a HD 4850 graphics card, better PSU & more RAM for ~£160

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?