New PC

whichpc4me 13:58 31 Jul 2008

I've seen this PC for sale and wondered if it was good value for money:
click here

My current PC is 4 years old and is still o.k for most things, but we really need a 2nd PC in the house because it is in such high demand. It will be required for playing the latest games, high speed broadband, making and burning videos to DVD's, running music software such as Cubase, and more. The wireless router will also be welcome for XBox live.
The specs look quite impressing to me but I'm no expert and I would welcome anyone's unbiased opinion on whether or not it seems good value for money. There's no problem regarding peripherals as I've got s spare monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

GaT7 14:56 31 Jul 2008

I think that Medion PC you linked to says it all, "Back to School PC Base Station", so it's probably not for you. Don't get me wrong, it's very good actually, but the graphics card won't be any good for the latest high-end games. An upgrade will help, but you may need to change the PSU. In the end all your 'upgrading' may cost more money in the long run than getting one proper system to begin with.

Looks like what you'll basically need is a:

1. High-end(ish) dual/quad-core CPU: or even an overclocked one - from what I know, Chillblast click here & Overclockers click here do these
2. Very good graphics card: performance-wise, don't go for anthing less than a HD 4870 / HD 4850 if you're on a tighter budget
3. Plenty of RAM: 4Gb should do for now - 2x2Gb modules, & a motherboard that has 4 RAM slots
4. 1Tb hard drive space: 2x500Gb SATAII / 500-750Gb if you think it'll be enough for now
5. Good, dedicated soundcard: from the Creative X-Fi range click here for example
6. Bigger budget than the Medion's £470: I'd say ~£700-1000 at the very least

Would you prefer XP to Vista or vice-versa?

If you're on a tighter budget, I'll have to suggest a lower spec. The kind of games played (going to be played) may determine how good a spec you can get for the money. G

whichpc4me 16:45 31 Jul 2008

Thanks for the info.
I've currently got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor, Gigabyte 7VT600-L motherboard with 1536MB of DDR memory running XP SP3.
The internal HDD is 238473 MB and there is also an external 500 GB hard drive. I would like better quality streaming video than my current Radeon 9200 series card provides and better quality sound than my C-Media 8738 PCI card provides. The games are mostly of the Age of Empires 3, Age of Mythology type which probably don't need a high end video card, but I'd still like a better video card for watching web streamed content as I have high speed broadband and like to watch programs on BBC iPlayer etc.
If I was to upgrade my PC, would my current system support the cards you recommended or can you recommend ones that would be suitable.
I need to weigh up the cost of upgrading or buying a higher end PC. We could manage with one PC for the time being and maybe wait a year or so before buying another.

GaT7 17:04 31 Jul 2008

You're right that the games you're playing now not requiring high-end graphics. Therefore, the Medion PC could well be good enough for you.

It may be worth upgrading the graphics of your present PC. The Gigabyte 7VT600-L supports AGP cards (click here). These days you should be able to get a very good one for £20-30 off eBay for example.

CPU may be worth upgrading too if you can get a bargain for a significanly better one. CPU upgrade path for the 7VT600-L click here. G

GaT7 17:08 31 Jul 2008

For better sound, get a Creative Audigy click here. G

GaT7 17:11 31 Jul 2008

And ignore my initial post - your requirements looked quite high-end at first! G

whichpc4me 17:27 31 Jul 2008

Thank you for all your helpful advice, Crossbow7. I'll consider my options before deciding what to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?