New Modem from Virgin

Noels 19:08 27 Feb 2008

I have just received a new modem from Virgin prior to updating to a faster download speed.
The modem arrived in about 8 days after being ordered with instructions on how to connect contained in the letter with the modem. I connected following the very simple instructions, no problem, but the modem didn't work. So phoned the 0800 supplied number and spoke to a very helpful lady who said she had to establish my connection (my words) Which she promptly did.
For your info every one has to establish a connection with Virgin rather than just plug in and go as suggested by their letter.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Noels.

brundle 19:35 27 Feb 2008

They change your registered MAC address to that of the new modem - the connection is already there, but it's a point worth making.

Noels 20:23 27 Feb 2008

The point I was trying to make in a very long winded way was that the letter with the modem implies that you just disconnect the old modem and then connect the new and your away!
Apparently not so. You have to phone the 0800 number and get someone to re-establish your connection.
Which they did without any problem. Good on them!
But they don't say so in their letter.
Regards to all
Noels.

powerless 21:15 27 Feb 2008

It was the same for me except my modem dedicded that it didn't want to work. But we didn't know that at the time as the modem wasn't syncing. VM guy [in jeans] came out ran a test and found it was the modem. He said to leave about 30 mins as he would phone his people to make the MAC addy change.

Well he must have forgot because I ended up calling VM myself. The fella on the other made some changes and....nothing. The modem appeeared fine. But no pages could load although I could ping sites. He said it was a problem with my PC oh and my other PC and also the Mac.

Said I would check a few things 'at my end' but I just phoned back 5 mins later and was told that he 'put me on the wrong server'.

Pheeew!

crosstrainer 08:33 28 Feb 2008

If you remove a cam module from one tv to another...It's a pain really, If I want to watch Setanta in the bedroom, I remove the cam from the TV in the lounge, plug it into the tv in the bedroom, then have to phone Setanta to re-send the signal to activate the cam....Would cost them less in phone calls (it's a free phone number) If they just sent me another cam free.

merciarich 17:56 01 Mar 2008

Am just wondering......

I am on Virgin myself and am awaiting the upgrade (should be the next week or so, so I have been told)

Did you ask them to send the modem or did you get it automatically?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?