New modem / router needed...

Diodorus Siculus 23:38 06 Jan 2008

I think...

I've had a DLink G604T here for about two and a half years and it has been faultless. Recently though I seem to need to reboot it almost daily - it fails to allow me to connect even though Vista / XP / 2k all seem to think there is a good connection.

Taff suggested this originally and I've been very pleased with it. I'd be happy to go with DLink again. It is connected to the main PC via a cable and to two others via wi-fi and I also connect my mobile via wi-fi for Skype at times.

Anyway, time for a new one I think so if anyone can suggest something useful, I'll be pleased.

Thanks as always, Dio

Kemistri 23:46 06 Jan 2008

The 604 is knocking on a bit now, but it is a good product. Any particular budget? The US Robotics Ndx is very good, as are the latest D-Link Rangeboosters.

Kemistri 23:47 06 Jan 2008

Actually, I don't know if they are still available, but maybe another 604 would suit. Stick with what you know?

Taff™ 06:31 07 Jan 2008

Hi Dio! I`ve still got 5 G604T`s working away at customers, friends etc. I suspect the reboots are down to your ISP as I went through a phase with PlusNet of having to reboot every morning for a month. They said this was due to upgrading at the local exchange - all is now well however. At home I now use a Linksys, only because I couldn`t pick up another D-Link. I`ll check out the model later.

The only problems I`ve had recently have been with Netgear routers, specifically with their USB wireless adapters which don`t come with a proper cradle and the extension cable fits poorly. Keep old of the D-Link adapter!

Diodorus Siculus 07:35 07 Jan 2008

Kemistri - thanks; I'll have a look for another DLink and check the reviews.

Taff™ - certainly worth checking out I think; as I say, there were no problems until recently and when it works, it's great. But I have found problems which I put down to the router - maybe they were caused elsewhere. I will monitor the situation for a while and see what happens. To be honest, it's not a great problem and if it is only temporary, then I can live with it. I'll have a word with BT and see what they say.

I've got three of the DLink adapters in use and they are top quality; two at home and one I gave to a friend.

Thanks for the original recommendation!

Cheers, Dio

interzone55 10:52 07 Jan 2008

There's a very interesting article by Dave Winder in this month's PC Pro.

In it he suggests that there is a problem with BT ADSL Max (the "up to 8mbs" packages) and the Texas Instruments AR7 chipsets used in many ADSL modem routers.

It's difficult to find out which chipset a company uses, but I know that Dlink use it in several models.

BT use Thompson Speedtouch modems when testing your line, these do not use AR7 chips, which may tell you something about a problem that BT refuses to acknowledge

oldbeefer2 16:25 07 Jan 2008

This advice was given to Vispa customers:
Potential problems have been uncovered with the Texas Instruments AR7. The chip is at the heart of about a third of routers in use worldwide today - including Linksys and Netgear kit.

We recommend any customers who have a device containing this chip should replace their equipment.

The issue was fingered when BT engineers were called to test lines for subscribers suffering repeated disconnections. BT staff test for a wiring problem using hardware based on chips made by Speedtouch - rivals to the AR7.

In many cases, the BT engineers would report back that there was no problem with the line, and the customer would be stung with an £180 unnecessary call-out charge.

The "fault" manifests itself on lines that have a variable signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Fluctuating SNR can be caused by submerged wires, interference from electrical equipment, and myriad other factors on Britain's aged copper phone network.

The AR7 is now produced by German chip giant Infineon, which bought Texas Instruments' DSL unit in June this year. When it was released in 2003, the AR7 was aimed at pushing ADSL to its bandwidth limits for applications like IPTV.

The connection problems AR7-based routers seem to be having is most likely caused poor optimisation for the UK's network last mile.

BT carries out lab testing on routers aimed at the UK market, but does not release the data to any Internet Service Providers. BT won't provide us with any information on hardware testing. That's why we've brought this issue to light like this. BT's testing is bound by confidentiality agreements with manufacturers.

Our advice is to pursue the fault but not arrange for an engineer visit until alternative hardware - without the AR7 chipset - is tested.

This links gives the list of devices that use this chip: click here

Taff™ 11:53 08 Jan 2008

Dio - click here The Linksys WAG54GS with speedbooster. I can`t agree with the full specification in that I have used it with 98SE and ME machines. I`ve also only got WEP encryption on it!

Diodorus Siculus 12:43 08 Jan 2008

Thanks Taff™; seems it's doing ok for the last couple of days so I will leave it. Maybe BT were doing some work on the line or maybe it's just a blip! Either way seems ok for now.

Nonetheless, I'll keep in mind the one you mention should the need arise.

Cheers, Dio

Diodorus Siculus 13:53 08 Jan 2008

Hi Taff™; having said that, it has just failed again twice and I think it is the router. BT says nothing changed their end.

Given that the one you mention isn't available to collect at store, how about this as an alternative? click here

Basically I prefer to pick up instore than wait for delivery. I can probably get them to pricematch it to Dixons £49.99 price.

Cheers, Dio

Taff™ 08:44 09 Jan 2008

I would try to get one now that works above 54 Mbps. click here and with the £6 delivery charge the Linksys is £55 - Delivery is usually next day via Amtrak and it should be possible to have it sent to an office address if it`s more convenient. (I can do that with a business account)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?