New memory needed

Willow12 17:59 01 Jul 2003

I was wondering about the best online site to buy new memory for my PC. I need 2 PC2100 256mb DDR.

A quick question though, is oem memory and memory major essentially the same? This information is from click here

I am looking for the usual balance of good value and good product.

Cheers

Sir Radfordin 18:02 01 Jul 2003

It is generally accept that Curcial are the best people to buy memory from. click here for their website.

Not all memory is the same.

Q-Bie 18:03 01 Jul 2003

Major on 3rd RAM is basically ram that's made by a 3rd party, and the manufacturer cannot be guaranteed.

We sell Major RAM on the PC Component Centre in PC World, its in a white box and there are 3 or 4 manufacturers RAM that we use, but you don't know who you're getting until you open the box. I suspect when they say OEM memory, they mean the same thing.

Rayuk 18:05 01 Jul 2003

Best bet is go to crucial and use their memory config system,good prices excellent delivery
click here

Willow12 19:24 01 Jul 2003

Thanks guys. Just ordered a single 512mb DDR from Crucial using their system configuration. Very quick and painless. :)

Eye No Nuffin 20:42 01 Jul 2003

Hi Willow12,

I can relate a sad tale of not buying the best memory and went for the cheapest instead - big mistake.

memory stick failed in a big way and only due to quick reaction did prevent damage to motherboard.

Unfortunately, you may not experience Crucial at their best as you might have missed the post!! (Literally).

If they have a collection facility where Royal Mail collect from them (Large Companies do) and it is later this evening, expect the postman early tomorrow with your memory - that is what I call service!

Rtus 21:11 01 Jul 2003

Ive ordered on Sunday afternoon and recieved tues morning first thing ..So as you say 1st class...

Willow12 22:52 01 Jul 2003

No imediate rush as I am up and running at the moment. I am sure that I can last out til Thursday!

Eye No Nuffin

Didn't know that a memory failure could wreck your Motherboard. A bit worrying as it was my old memory failure that has led to this purchase. (Borrowing memory at the moment!)

Eye No Nuffin 13:32 03 Jul 2003

Willow12

Failure was a bad one. Smell of burning initially so switched off PC PDQ. Two of the 184 copper contact pins melted.

Suppliers reaction was total non co-operation and no refund/apology. The excuses used were truly incredible. I rate their customer service skills as nil or less and for sure I will never ever use them again.

I lost out financially but duly reported the supplier to Trading Standards !

Could go to the small claims court.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017