New laptop to use abroad, help!

marchbryant 16:34 29 Feb 2004

I am moving to Oz in Oct this year but I need a new laptop now to take with us when we move. I am keen to buy a desktop replacement and will be using it for photo editing, e-mail, spreadsheets, some games, DVD and CD editing.
I have a budget of £1200 and require an international warranty.
Does anyone have any useful tips on where to start? Dell Inspiron looks good but there must be a buyers guide for laptops with interantional warranties! Please help, I ma breaking point!

spuds 16:52 29 Feb 2004

I would suggest that you wait, and perhaps purchase in Oz.If you 'stop-over' in Singapore or Hong Kong en-route, then you may find that you can buy cheaper, with a warranty that would cover Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania.International warranties can be problematic.If you require a laptop for usage now, why not purchase with a view of selling before your departure.

steve0 20:15 29 Feb 2004

Agree with spuds - buy in Oz. Was there last year and noticed how much cheaper computer equipment is in Australia. They have loads of discount shops, much better than the UK

Demora 22:55 29 Feb 2004

Just one point.

I bought a Toshiba in the USA (Laptop) over a year ago and the international gaurentee is fine. I haven't had any problems with it so haven't had to use the support anyway.

BTW its a really well travelled machine and just stood up to the new US Security checks in Raliegh North Carolina.

Demora

marchbryant 11:36 01 Mar 2004

Thnaks for your help guys,

You have confirmed what I suspected and I think I will wait until I get there! Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)