New Laptop - too much choice!

HNUT 15:04 15 Dec 2014

Hi -

I am looking a general purpose laptop, that needs to be half decent for gaming on.. such things as Minecraft and Gary's Mod, for my son.

I had a budget of £500-600 and have now narrowed to down to the following:

For £587:

Lenovo G710 17.3-inch Intel Quad Core i7-4702MQ 2.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT720M

OR

For £660:

Dell Inspiron 17 - 7737 Processor: Intel® Dual Core™ i7-4510U (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz) 16GB RAM 1 TB HDD LED Touch Display Graphics Card not specified (have enquired, waiting for reply)

The main differences then are:

Dell has 16GB RAM vs the Lenovo 8GB Dell has only Dual Core processor (and an older one at that, as far as I can ascertain?) The Dell has touch screen (do I even want this..?) The Dell is an extra £70

Not sure which is the better make. Have had three Dells in the past and they are ok, though my Dell laptop lacks build quality.

How do the processors compare? I am no expert on processors:

i7-4510U versus the i7-4702MQ

It's got to be half decent for gaming, with no noticeable lag.

Any advice on these makes/models/processors would be welcome

HNUT 15:14 15 Dec 2014

Forgot to also ask, whether a lack of Gigabit Ethernet port on the Lenovo is important?

HNUT 16:35 15 Dec 2014

Have now discovered the Dell comes with only Integrated Intel HD4400 Graphics

chub_tor 17:51 15 Dec 2014

Here's the CPU comparison Click Here and Click Here for a review of the Lenovo. And the datasheet Click Here says that it will take 16Gb RAM so you can upgrade it. Try a Google search for that model with the specs you need and see if you can get a price. If not you can always buy 2 8Gb sticks of RAM and sell the old 2 x 4Gb sticks.

HNUT 17:58 15 Dec 2014

Thanks Chub_tor

Lenovo processor looks better - but how important is the power consumption difference, on which the Dell wins hands down? What does that mean? Lower heat output?

Is Lenovo the better brand generally? Everywhere I read they seem to rank higher, but you can never be sure these review sites are not sponsored.

And what about the lack of Gigabit Ethernet port on the Lenovo? Does that matter?

chub_tor 22:08 15 Dec 2014

Lenovo is a good brand, it was the IBM brand before they sold it. Yes the processor has better performance but that comes with increased power consumption which will give shorter life when used on the battery. I don't have a temperature comparison but I would think that Lenovo counter the higher power dissipation with increased fan size or speed. The lack of an Ethernet port means that you can only connect to a network by using a wireless connection. Shop around for price and after sales service.

kylie23 13:48 16 Dec 2014

Your requirements might lead you to higher budget though you can pick Lenovo if you're an avid video gamer. I personally think that Lenovo will give you an enjoyable gaming experience for you can also expand its memory. Buy wisely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?