New laptop - £400 - £500 - Currys/PC World only.

enigmamedusa 17:42 07 Feb 2009

Hello,

My laptop has broke and my insurance company gave me £400 voucher to spend at DSG i.e Currys/PC World

I might put towards it upto £100 at a push, but would prefer around £50 maximum.

Can anyone help recommend one please? I don't really want a 17 inch screen as I think they might be too big. But I know Core 2 are the best (?), and I would quite like one that has TV out or HDMI out.

I don't play really graphic intensive games, if there's one for an extra £20 for a much better graphics card I'll be happy to pay extra just in comes in useful.

Any help greatfully appreciated :)

curofone 19:46 07 Feb 2009

with a £400 budget i would go for this click here you can higher spec acers for a little extra money but i would much rather have a hp over an acer

rickf 20:02 07 Feb 2009

I can highly recommend this. Got one and it's great also great reviews
Acer 5920G
Make sure it's the G as it comes with dedicated graphics card nVideo 8600g ms

0r the later version Acer 5520G with better graphics card a 9600g ms.
Hope that helps.

enigmamedusa 15:14 08 Feb 2009

Thanks for the advice, the HP one certainly ticks alot of boxes. I like HP but the laptops seem to get a bit of a kicking when I did a search on this forum.

Unfortunately I don't think PC World/Currys sell the 5920 or 5520 anymore, only refurbished ones.

Thanks for the help I think I'll pop down to the shop and have a quick look at them in the flesh so to speak.

keef66 15:49 09 Feb 2009

The PCPro A list currently lists as budget laptop choice a £400 Dell sold only through DSG so it should be in PC World. Look for the A List on click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?