New Laptop

ruichong 11:33 22 Jul 2008

I am currently looking to buy a new laptop as my current one I have had for 3 years has slowly died on me. I am currently a student and hence do not have a massive budget (about £600+/-£100 would be ideal).

I know a desktop would be better and cheaper but I have to go on ward rotations and hence will need to move about but will mainly still mainly use it as a desktop replacement once i get places.

I would mainly use it for word processing and watching DVDs, with the occasional gaming and so would like a relatively large screen (15.4") with decent graphics. My main requirement is for it to be of a decent build with decent parts i.e. it wont be really slow and fall apart after 2 years, and in this respect, would it be worth getting a Mac instead?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Clapton is God 12:11 22 Jul 2008
  spuds 13:17 22 Jul 2008

While I would agree with Clapton is God choice, I have recently had a bad experience with Dell and their sales coding and methods. After configuring a couple of laptops, including the 1525, I hit a snag with on-line ordering and decided to contact their sales department (in India!). Its a rather long story, that took three telephone calls, and was based in the main with advertised free delivery (Dell wanted to charge £60.00)and how the product is coded for discounts. In the end I informed Dell that I was not interested, and assumingly left it at that, but Dell telephoned me back and offered a £30.00 delivery charge reduction. Different codes can make a large difference in discount and voucher allowances, for a same model product.

I was rather fed-up with the way Dell was dealing with a simple matter on that day, that I went straight to Ebuyer click here and looked at their range of laptops on offer. I purchased a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo V5535 (139119)for about £280.00. At the same time I also purchased an extra 1Gb of ram (111436), laptop case (124719)and two mouse kits (118866). Received the whole lot for £307.83, and that included free next day 9.30am delivery.The Ebuyer telesales even provided instructions on how to fit the extra ram.Had I purchased the laptop a few days earlier, the ram would have been supplied for free, as a special offer.

Perhaps I should point out, that I have purchased many items from Dell, and have been very satisfied with their products and service, but on that occasion, it left bitter experience, never I hope to be repeated.

Apologies for the long posting, on possibly a non-relevant matter!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?