New gaming PC (a little advice needed)

quickgld 17:46 08 Jan 2005

This is the PC I'm looking at buying to replace my aged PC.

click here

It has pretty much everything I've been looking for and is within my intended budget. The only question I have is, is there anything glaringly obvious that would benefit from being upgraded using the configurator. Particularly the graphics card though I already have a Radeon 8500LE in my PC currently and I've been more than happy with it, the 9800 seems like a good upgrade.

PC Pro reviewed this system and they gave it a very favourable review

click here

Thank you for any advice you might have.

freaky 18:47 08 Jan 2005

If you are going to use it for games, then I would suggest the following changes: -

PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (939 pin)
MOB: Asus Deluxe GB Lan/1394/Sata/Raid Audio (939pin).
MEMORY: 1024

Also the Flat Panel is Analogue, whereas you want one with Digital and Analogue Input to get the best out of your Graphics Card, this card has DVI (Digital Video Intereface).

What you could do, is what I did with Mesh last month. Buy just the Base Unit upgraded where I have recommended, then buy an Iiyama 17" E435S Prolite separately. These can be purchased for as low as £199, PCWorld were selling them at that price.

If you go to the Mesh Site and select 'Build to Order' then you can select your configuration Base Unit without the Flat Panel.

As I said, I did this and it works great with games, the display is excellent with no ghosting.

citadel 19:08 08 Jan 2005

the gforce 6800gt will be the better, also 1024 of ram will give fast loading times for games

Totally-braindead 19:18 08 Jan 2005

I personally would check the difference is price between the 3000 and the 3500 freaky suggests, although the 3500 will obviously be faster is it much more expensive? Only you can decide whether its worth the extra, the 3000 is by no means a slow machine. More memory is always a good thing but 512mb is more than adequate and as long as you make sure its in one stick then you could always add more later if you wish. I believe that DVI connectors are the way to go for TFTs and if you buy a cheaper one then it won't come with a DVI as freaky says. I just bought a 17" TFT last week £150 with a 16ms response time and I'm very happy with it and at this price, you've guessed it only a dsub connector no DVI. But the pictures great. Whether the Dell one is as good is an unknown quantity, I'd be tempted to go elsewhere for the screen unless theres more info available about the TFT Dell sell. Have a look at the last PC Advisor for some reviews of TFTs.

freaky 20:25 08 Jan 2005

Regarding the CPU, I would go for 939 pin. If as Totally-braindead said the 3000+ could be a lot cheaper, then go for it if it is 939 pin.

The point is that if you are getting a new Comp, then go for one that has the latest hardware. In the case of CPU's then AMD have stopped production of chips with less than 939 pin !!

The Iiyama Prolite E435S that I recommended has a response time of 10 msec, there are no other 17" Flat Panels as good as that.

If you go for a 19" or 21" then not only are they more expensive, but the response times are considerably higher than the 17" type.

CRT Monitors have a response time of 00, therefore the Iiyama is not far behing a CRT!!

As you state that your primary objective is for playing games, then you need a machine and display that can handle the demands made by game software.

HXP 20:37 08 Jan 2005

The only recommendation I would make is to go for the best graphics card you can afford so look at the Nvidia cards 5950 are good value now ( although I went for a 6800 ultra)

Couple this with the 3000 or above processor and 1 gb of ram if you can.

Hard disks are cheap and easy upgrades later (£50 ish) & if it is a choice between a better graphics card & a CRT or a lesser card and a TFT I would go for the CRT combo each time and upgrade to TFT later when I had more £££'s although a CRT is fine if not so stylish.

Also TRY click here I got my games machine from there & it is superb !!

HXP

quickgld 23:11 08 Jan 2005

Thanks all for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone