New downloads record for Microsoft claim...

Stuartli 14:07 06 Feb 2003

"Windows Media Player 9 Series Shatters Jukebox Download Records With 14 Million Downloads Worldwide in First Month

Nearly 9 Out of 10 Users Polled Cited Improved Audio Quality, Fast Streaming and Improved Player Performance as Key Areas of Satisfaction; Windows Movie Maker 2 Tallies Over 3 Million Downloads in First 30 Days

Microsoft Corp. today released download statistics that show record-breaking consumer demand for the new Microsoft® Windows Media® Player 9 Series and Windows® Movie Maker 2 for Windows XP in their first month of availability.

14 million downloads of Windows Media Player 9 Series were recorded worldwide in just 30 days -- a rate of over 5 downloads every second.

This shatters the previous record for downloads of digital music jukebox software, held by Windows Media Player 7 -- nearly doubling the number of downloads in the first 30 days.

Based on data unveiled today, a key driver behind this momentum is the high level of customer satisfaction."

So it's not surprising that one or two forum members - out of all these millions - have had the occasional problem with WMP9; it's the nature of the (MS) beast...:-)

Stuartli 14:24 06 Feb 2003

Talking about WMP9 problems, the only one I've come across so far is that in Tools>Options>Devices my Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM drive (D) is listed as my rewriter and my TDK CyClone rewriter (E)is recognised as my DVD-ROM drive....

rowdy 15:29 06 Feb 2003

Perhaps this is the microsoft masterplan to cut down on illegal copying.

rowdy

Joe McG 17:57 06 Feb 2003

When I play an mp3 in the new wmp, the first couple of seconds sound like it is on a go slow. After this it plays ok.

I don't have the same problem with creative play centre or winamp.

Spook Tooth 19:17 06 Feb 2003

I still think Winamp beats it hands down. After installing it also, I was relieved to see you could change the default colour. Yuk!

My Pioneer 106 (slot type) is recording ok as playback device. Hope WMP9 misrecording, doesn't make things difficult for you, Stuartli.

The updated WMM I think, is superb. Nice of MS. For a novice like me, it was fun playing about with it. Who knows...? Potential Spielburg in the making - doubt that very much though. :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?