- Max. shared memory 256MB
LAN: - Realtek PHY RTL8201CL
- Speed: 10/100 Ethernet
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
Connections: - 1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
- 1 x VGA Port
- 1 x Parallel Port (ECP/EPP Support)
- 6 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports (4 rear, 2 front)
- 1 x RJ-45 Port
- HD Audio Jack: Side Speaker / Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone
at a cost of £200 inc vat.

Any views would be welcome I am a novice in PC terms

robbiepaul79 11:19 19 Jun 2007

any particualr reason behind this?

keef66 11:32 19 Jun 2007

What do you use it for?
Why do you feel the need to replace the existing system?
Do you need an operating system / other software?

Totally-braindead 11:35 19 Jun 2007

Its reasonable I suppose but it depends on what you do with your PC.
Does the new board have a PCI Express slot as an example because onboard graphics is ok for some things but not games.
Also the 350 watt power supply would be fine for it as it stands but if you add more items to the PC, especially a graphics card you would need a new power supply. Also considering the price of processors you could move up a bit in terms of speed for very little money.
The point I suppose I'm trying to make is. If you boost your initial spending then later on when you upgrade you wouldn't need to spend more cash. What I mean for example is if you spend a bit more cash now on the power supply then if you got a graphics card later on you wouldn't need to spend extra on a new power supply as well as the one you have would do the job.

Personally I would up the power supply to a branded one, higher rated, at least a 500 watt one and would get a faster processor, a 4800 dual core AMD retails about the £80 mark as an example a 3800 is about the £50 mark so for another £30 now you get a pretty reasonable boost.

I use the machine at home for Internet banking , Outlook, Word, excel Powerpoint Digital photography some music downloads. I currently have XP pro and am reluctant to go to Vista. The present system is about 5 years old and has gathered a load of clutter and has slowed down, I thought to start again would be a good solution.

robbiepaul79 12:09 19 Jun 2007

It would be alot better to clear the clutter first and see if this helps first instead of buying a whole new system if its just a case of deleting afew files and doing some basic maintenance

keef66 12:54 19 Jun 2007

my pc is 6 years old. All I do is periodically back up the documents, emails and photos, and then wipe and reinstall everything from scratch. It's just like having a new pc, only cheaper!

Totally-braindead 13:19 19 Jun 2007

I agree with the others here, if your PC still does all you expect of it, IE if it doesn't have a problem doing what you ask of of then perhaps a good cleanup or even a format and reinstallation would be an idea.
I'm not trying to put you off upgrading, a faster more powerful PC is a good thing but the longer you can put it off the better you get for your money.
You say the upgrade will cost £200 well if you wait another 6 months as an example you would probably get a faster PC for your cash. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted here. If you do decide to go ahead I would at least boost the power supply to a branded 500 watt one.

You guys talk far too much sense. I think you have just saved me £200+ I like the idea of cleaning up my present system. Lets give it a go

Thansk to all who have contributed

BioBob 16:09 21 Jun 2007

Common sense prevails... thats got to be a first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?