New desktop

Marko797 20:39 21 Feb 2010

Am looking to invest in a new high end PC (self build is not an option, so please don't suggest this) & have been looking at PCA reviews:

Chillblast Fusion Eagle

CyberPower Gamer Infinity i7 Heaven

Arbico Elite 9655 HD

Mesh Ice7 5870 HD review -

able to upgrade these as necessary but within the budget below.

Would also consider Cougar Extreme as reviews outside of PCA (not seen any) seem favourable.

I currently have a 7 yr old Mesh but am concerned over growing number of negative recent reviews which I have read, however don't know much of the other recommended buys/providers.

Am looking to spend c. £2000 max and although usage will be mainly Office applications, plus internet, I would want a hi-end gaming machine too.

Faster the better; fastest processor, fastest graphics.

Any constructive advice outside of the PCA reviews, which seem to state 'good system but graphics could be better', or 'processor lets it down'?

Thnx in advance.

OTT_B 08:48 22 Feb 2010

I've not looked at all the PCs you have lnked to, but they do seem to be on the right lines - Core i7 and minimum HD5870 graphics.

I'm sure myself and a lot of other peolpe will take a more detailed look at this later, but for now:

1. If you are not comfortable with the reputation of a company then don't use them.

2. Make sure you are getting a very good PSU in your new PC

3. Do you need a new monitor and operatring system. If so, Win 7 is the only sensible way forward. What size monitor would you be looking at? A good display makes a world of difference.

Marko797 09:15 22 Feb 2010

cheers for coming back.

I think most of these have an 850w psu, so happy there.

As mentioned, I don't know of these suppliers, with the exception of Mesh - see comments above. Cougar always seems to have good reviews in the forum, so might consider them with similar specs as above, but not seen any reviews for the others (Arbico, Chillblast, etc).

As for the monitor, I suspect I would need maybe 22" or 24", but this isn't a major issue, as I would rather get the right machine and worry abt the monitor after, if necessary.

I think also most of these machines come with Win7 which is probably the best way fwd anyway, like u say.

OTT_B 09:28 22 Feb 2010

Sorry, two more points I meant to include in my first post:

1. for the kind of money you are spending I'd look for an SSD drive to use for operating system and applications with a traditional hard drive for data.

2. Are you intersted in overclocking your new PC, either now or in the future?

As regards the PSU, I would be inclined to go a little more than 850W. Any motherboard you get is likely to support crossfire, which is good for future graphics upgrades, however that will require more power. However, even good PSUs tend to lose efficiency over time, so 1kW would be my recommendation.

Marko797 09:34 22 Feb 2010

points noted, thanks.

Don't know much abt SSD drives, so maybe need to check that one.

Overclocking - no, not really.

Hound-dog 10:34 22 Feb 2010

A lot of companies seem to have both positive and negative comments although i do agree that Mesh seem to have a growing number of negative comments. Another company that is worth looking into is Cube247. Plenty of good reviews online, and i have used them a couple of times with no problems at all.

Marko797 11:34 22 Feb 2010

thnx. Am really hoping to keep prospective suppliers down to a minimum hence me looking at the PCA PC reviews. Cube weren't mentioned, but I acknowledge that they have some good comments in the forum. I'll add them to my list. Cheers.

Loopy2 11:34 22 Feb 2010

Marko797, i have to agree with Hound Dog - Cube247 have very after sales service. For a gaming PC i would look at the Sigma ST20 - 5870 graphics - I7 860 processor. Very good system, and is well within your budget so you could upgrade other components if you needed.

Marko797 12:33 22 Feb 2010

thnx for the input...when I have more time I'll have a good look at Cube. Thnx again for taking the time to respond.

Marko797 20:29 24 Feb 2010

^

Marko797 10:44 27 Feb 2010

would this be: i5 or i7?

fastest grfx: radeon 5870?

why would I need SSD drive when I have managed quite adequately with traditional sata?

Gone to a few of the sites to modify the specs mentioned within the PCA reviews. Seems pretty easy to start racking up a bill towards £3k, which is a bit ridiculous.

No further forward on this. Help appreciated please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires