New Dell XPS 420, afew queries...

dal28 18:51 19 Jun 2008

Hi,

Looking to get a new PC, have more or less decided on the Dell XPS 420. Have previously had 2 other dells and never had any problems with anything. Also looked at various Meshs but wasnt too confident with aftersales.

Couple of quick questions if anyone can give some advice; The PC isnt going to be used to vast gaming because i already have a PS3 hooked to a HD TV so the graphics card doesnt need to be that top spec either.

Looking to get a Intel dual core E8500 or E8400, am I missing a trick so to speak by not gettin a quad core?

I have agonized over XP or Vista, still dont no! lol have heard too many bad things about vista and I no XP fairly well now, but if i was to buy vista which editiion should i get, ie premium or ultimate?

I want at least 4 gig of ram, what would be advised for that processor? Would it be feasible or value for money to get 8gig?

Finally, thanks for bearing with me if anyone has :), I have been looking at 512 mb graphics card, the Geforce 8800GT, any comments on that?

Hope someone can help! any comments or advice is much appreciated.

Dal

Joe R 19:09 19 Jun 2008

dal28,

If you are going for the XPS420, and are not too bothered about the gaming side, you could save yourself around about £100, by going for the E8400 cpu, and the 9600/8600 graphics card.

As for ram, 8Gb is only advisable if you are getting a 64bit operating system, which may cause problems with peripherals and/or software.

A 32 bit system can only see under 3.5Gb ram, so in my opinion 3Gb is sufficient.

P.S. the 8800GT is one of the fastest cards available, and will run most if not all games with impunity.

Rob_08 20:25 19 Jun 2008

I hope they have improved the build quality of the
XPS420 !! I had one for a week and returned it because the DVD/RW drawer was so feeble and thin that even putting a disk on the platter threatened to snap it off. I complained and they said they'd look into it. But it put me right off.
Apart from that though, it was quite nice.

belfman 21:33 19 Jun 2008

Our DVD drives are all right Rob 08 though I think one of the ROMs are is on it's way out after 6 months. Easy to replace and only worth a few quid.

Rob_08 23:32 19 Jun 2008

I wonder if they changed them then ? Before ( Back in Late Feb) the drive bays were about as rigid and thick as an after eight mint !!

belfman 09:58 20 Jun 2008

Who MFR'd it?

Mine are Optiarc and TSSTCorp.

Rob_08 12:27 20 Jun 2008

Mine were by the same manufacturer as you stated.
But when the drawer popped out it would literally hang over when a disk was put on it. Feeble.
Maybe they improved it, sounds like it.
I now have pioneer DVD/RW drives and wouldnt go back !!
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?