New Dell PC Advice

Jamfocus 14:33 20 Feb 2007

I'm going to be purchasing another new Dell PC in the coming days. Can anyone tell me how this specification sounds?

Intel Viiv Core 2 Duo E6300 Processor

Vista Home Premium

Dell 19" Flat Panel Monitor

2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024]

320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

256MB nVidia® GeForce® 7300 Turbocache graphics

It comes to £611. It sounds good to me, but I'm no expert in these things.

Also on a side note I notice Dell charge £60 for shipping/delivery. I have heard at times that they have free shipping offers on. Is it worth waiting for one of these. Or do they usually raise prices up on the PCs themseleves to make up the shipping costs?

Wabadaw Sleeve 14:42 20 Feb 2007

I've never dealt with Dell, but my first instinct would be to order via phone and tell them that you're not prepared to pay £60 for the delivery and see what they say.

anskyber 14:50 20 Feb 2007

Dell offer discounts and promos but generally the price does not vary greatly only the spec of the machine.

Next time it might be for example 1Gig of RAM but a better graphics card or a bigger HDD.

The price is very good for that spec of machine. My only experience with Dell is my current machine which has a similar spec to the one you are looking at now. I ordered it and it arrived.....just as they said it would. And yes, you may be able to negotiate a discount if you call them direct, I did.

Zero G 17:47 20 Feb 2007

I found Dell to be over priced and under spec.
Yes they make solid pc's, but if you want a better spec ring them up & have a chat to a human, it does work & you may get a better deal.

terryf 20:52 20 Feb 2007

Have a look at click here my son buys from here for business and his mother-in-law !

961 16:49 22 Feb 2007

Ring up and haggle

Try end of sales quota period (day/week/month) The last unit to make the bonus can go for less. Much less. Delivery and on site fees are ultra haggleable

Aristocatman 18:30 23 Feb 2007

Dell stuff is pretty good service can be a bit variable (from experience with my employers using Dell) I nearly bought a Dell 'High spec' PC recently but got a higher spec PC from Novatech for about £300 less than Dells all in price. I have used Novatech for some years now & had good experience no good if you want something non standard tho' they just don't do it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone