New Dell Laptop

Curio 19:07 14 Sep 2005

Ordered a £2000 plus Inspiron Laptop for my son Thursday last. He will be collecting (and paying for it) when next home from Saudi. All done via the Net.Just had phone call to say PC will be delivered next Friday evening. Cannot fault the system. Am impressed.

phil46 19:46 14 Sep 2005

Good luck to you and hope the laptop arrives Dell have been known to faulter here.

Wuggy 20:09 14 Sep 2005

Ordered new desk top from Dell end of June for delivery in 7-10 days. Using tracking program on their website a few days later discovered date was now 23 July. Emailed Customer Services stating my extreme displeasure and received phone call following day promising to expedite matters as much as possible.
Received several phone calls and emails over the next few days and PC arrived on 11 July as promised. Delighted with service and cannot recommend highly enough. Friend bought from them following week on my recommendation and is also also very pleased with service.

Pooke 20:37 14 Sep 2005

they sell more computers than anyone else.

hardly surprising.

wint 23:34 14 Sep 2005

My Inspiron arrived within the the 10 days - as promised.

An excellent machine. It's my 2nd Dell laptop, they seem so well built.

Good choice Curio.

Curio 15:22 16 Sep 2005

Noon today together with free printer. It beat the Dell Acceptance email and delivey time of courier by 5 hours. Checked, all complete and working. No complaints at all. Well impressed.

Michael-240508 22:17 26 Oct 2005

My brother has just taken delivery of an inspiron.
He is new to computers and is telling me that the cd drive has a spindle like a record player? none of his discs will fit on this spindle. I know nothing of laptops so its the blind leading the blind. Any ideas?

josie mayhem 00:10 27 Oct 2005

Your brother CD/DVDs should fit this spindle, it's not quite like a record player, more like a pin. I must admit it is a very tight fit. But the assumption here it must be like this because the drive isn't the sturdy looking of things. If you have a look you will see that the tray isn't just a template to hold CD/DVDs but has everything attached to it.

And when you consider that it is a laptop, so most people so actually balance it on there lap, not the most stable of places, so it needs to counteract the movement that might be made, if it wobbles all over the place, it going to course hell jumping all over the place.

You need a firm but gentle/even pressure to get them to fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017