New Computer

LinkMan 22:51 20 Nov 2004

Help! I am looking for a new PC within my £1200 price bracket. I liked the mesh a lot but i have a problem. I am a member of Dixons Group Plc which includes PC World and Dixons and would therefore mean that i am eligible for staff discounts. I am not sure what to do. Can anyone recommend what to do and what computer to buy?

LinkMan 23:01 20 Nov 2004

I am looking for a computer able to play half life 2. I also want to be able to watch digital TV and record. This means a large Hard Drive. hirdly, I would like to be able to burn to both DVDs (all formats or as many as possible) and CDs as well. I would like to have surround sound so that i am able to watch films and play games with a wicked sound system hence the need for a wicked sound card. Finally, a cordless keyboard and TFT screen. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Forum Editor 23:03 20 Nov 2004

that you are in the ideal situation - you can get a staff discount on a whole range of big-name branded computers, and you have a very comnfortable budget. You could probably afford almost any computer that your company sells - with the exception of the higher spec Apple G4s.

Take a look at the Advent 3519 for instance - a superb machine. Dixons Product Code - 023187

citadel 23:23 20 Nov 2004

When I have looked around pc world, dixons, I have noticed none of the computers have decent graphics cards. If you want to play modern games with good detail you need a machine with 1024 of ram and a gforce 6800 or 6800gt or eq. plus a 3g processor.

HXP 19:58 21 Nov 2004

What puts me buying from the high street is the low spec graphics cards in all the machines - the previous poster is right - try Evesham / Carrera

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone