New battery - Original brand or generic?

Damo1977 21:41 10 Feb 2009

I'm just after a bit of advice really, my Sony Vaio Laptop battery has died and so I need to buy a replacement.

But I am not sure whether to stick to a Sony branded original battery or go with a generic compatible battery?

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this?

Is there much difference between the two? If not am I just as well to save a bit of money and just buy a generic battery.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Si_L 21:58 10 Feb 2009

Whats the price difference? If the Sony brand is no more than 20-30% more expensive then I would go for that.

Or if you want a more hands on approach, check this out, its very good: click here

Strawballs 22:12 10 Feb 2009

click here
Same thread

wee eddie 00:27 11 Feb 2009

On my Advent, the outer end of the Battery formed part of the case and did not appear to be removable.

I purchased a generic one as it was £40 cheaper. Unfortunately the moulding on the outer end is slightly different. Everything works but it's not as pretty. As I bought for function rather than beauty, this does not phase me but it's a bit "sticky out" though.

So beware.

carver 18:37 11 Feb 2009

Try this site click here

Prices are quite good and delivery is spot on, I bought some extra batteries for a camcorder from them and up to now it's lasted longer than the original.

oresome 19:52 11 Feb 2009

A cautionary tale.

I worked for an equipment manufacturer that supplied and maintained kit for the police.

With one force, we experienced an unusually high rate of failure of the output amplifier. So much so that the lifetime purchase of spares when the model production run had finished was exhausted within 1 year. It should have lasted 7.

Investigations showed that the force had purchased replacement batteries from a third party. These were not manufactured to the same physical tolerances as the originals and it was possible whilst fitting the battery to make a reverse polarity connection. If the equipment had been left switched on, which often happened, it was zapped. With the original battery it was not possible to make a reverse polarity connection because of tighter tolerances.

The upshot was that a special production run had to be commissioned to manufacture the output amplifier that was being damaged and the third party batteries had to be withdrawn from service.

An expensive lesson.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires