Networking courses

iqs 20:36 22 Feb 2009

Hi,

I'm due to finish my CompTIA A+ course soon,hopefully when I pass,I would like to move onto Networks.

There are many different qualifications available.I have seen two that appeal to me,CCNA and Network +.

CCNA is the course that everyone seems to be enrolling for,but I believe it maybe to difficult to start with.

I would like to start simple and then progress onto the more advance courses/qualifications.

My local college has a basic Network course called Home networking Essentials.I have installed hone networks,but perhaps this may be beneficial ???

Ideally I would like to undertake the Network + first,but I can not locate any colleges in Bristol which offer this course.
Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:24 22 Feb 2009

would be for the CCNA course. Provided you have a rudimentary knowledge of what a network is, and you are acquainted with a web browser you'll be fine.

After you've completed the CCNA you could move on to a CCNP, which would be useful if you're thinking of pursuing a career in networking.

iqs 09:17 23 Feb 2009

Thank you for your advice Forum Editor

The Brigadier 11:40 23 Feb 2009

Network+ is non vendor specific so you will have to understand more than just networking, some unix & Linux.

Getting N+ first & then do CCNA would give you a better understanding of netwoking etc. It was the route my son went down and ended up passing both N+ & CCNA at the first attempt.

CCNA is very intense and you will need to be able to take in a lot of information in a short time! But is limited to Cisco products only, but then Cisco is widely used around the world

iqs 17:54 27 Feb 2009

Hi The Brigadier,and thanks for your help.

Currently I am unable to fund the CCNA course,recently made redundant .
So I was thinking of following the route your son took but study from home.

I have seen various Network+ CBT videos available on ebay.
Would one based on the Network+ objectives been beneficial .

Thanks

user8 12:27 01 Mar 2009

The new N+ books come out in June for N+(2009).
Suggest you wait until then as they are more up to date.

iqs 15:30 01 Mar 2009

Thanks for the tip user8

user8 09:42 02 Mar 2009

Good course to do is Cisco IT Essentials 2.
Which combined with self study would help you get N+.
(you need to know Linux & Unix as well!)

CISCO CCNA is very intense & a lot of info has to be crammed in, in a short time!
Suggest you finish A+, Do N+ & then CCNA, by which time you will be able to pass CCNA 1st time!

iqs 12:35 02 Mar 2009

Hi user8,
"Good course to do is Cisco IT Essentials 2."

Do you mean the Technician course 220 602?
If you do,I am currently studying the above mentioned course.

It does go into the network world in more depth then the Essentials,but not enough.

I will do as you suggest,A+ then CCNA.The CCNA is the one that counts in the real world,from my prior investigations.

Only real bugbear is Linux,how I hate Linux.

Thank you for your help.

brundle 13:23 02 Mar 2009

When people say "you need to know Unix/Linux", not how to use and configure - just background and history, where it's used, advantages and disadvantages etc. Useful information for comparison with other systems.

brundle 13:23 02 Mar 2009

When people say "you need to know Unix/Linux", not how to use and configure - just background and history, where it's used, advantages and disadvantages etc. Useful information for comparison with other systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?