Network adaptor

  prodway 20:47 03 Jun 2008

I think this is what i need.

I have just recieved my sky broadband but awaiting for it to become active,do i need whats called a "network adaptor" for it to become wireless?I dont fancy trailing a wire through my living room to the phone line,i like the idea of it all being wireless so if this is what i need can somone recomend a resonably cheap one?Can i use any?



  sean-278262 01:32 04 Jun 2008

Depending on the set up of your system you may already have one. Any laptop in the last few years will have a WiFi dongle inbuilt as will many desktops. You have already got a wireless router so all you need is a wireless card for either your desktop or laptop (as you never specified).

click here
For laptops click above. However you will need to consider what type of card your laptop supports (see the manuals) as there are 2 formats of cards.

click here
Click this link if you are using a desktop. However be sure to find out if you have a PCI slot free to use. If not consider removing the modem if one is fitted in a PCI slot.

click here
Click this link as these are universal to both laptops and desktops. However require a free USB slot and often cover USB ports beside the one it occupies. However most will come with a USB A-B cable to allow you to connect it without it sticking out the side like a sore thumb.

click here
Finally ebuyer have some clearance items that may be cheaper so have a look there too depending on your final choice.

The last thing I will say is make sure to get a minium of a card rated to utilise G (often referred to as 802.11g). Ideally getting one that offers the N (referred to as 802.11n or 802.11 draft N). This will future proof you and also potentially give you better results.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?