Netbooks - Windows 7?

oldbeefer2 11:54 23 Aug 2009

I'm thinking of ditching my Dell laptop and getting a netbook (more convenient for travelling). Anyone know if those that are currently shipped with XP will have Windows 7 - if so, I will wait for that. Thanks.

birdface 13:37 23 Aug 2009

Most new laptops will come with Vista or Xp installed with a free upgrade to Windows 7 at the end of October.
make sure that you get the free upgrade from whatever supplier that you are thinking of using.

birdface 13:40 23 Aug 2009

Or buy one without an OS Amazon are still selling Windows 7 at £65 and with that you get the disc so handy if anything ever goes wrong.22nd October it is due to be released.

oldbeefer2 13:46 23 Aug 2009

Good tips - thanks.

iscanut 18:06 23 Aug 2009

Although you may have the Win 7 CD, don't forget that not all netbooks have a CD/DVD drive, so you will need to connect uyp to an external one possibly.

oldbeefer2 20:43 23 Aug 2009

Yes, I've been thinking about that as I've other applications (like MS Office) to install. They don't seem too expensive, so not a show stopper.

interzone55 09:23 24 Aug 2009

Just a small point before rushing off & ordering the full version of Windows 7 - Microsoft are going to release a stripped out version of Windows 7 for low power netbooks and laptops.

It may be wise to wait until the OS is launched in October to see what's available...

yipkc 13:45 11 Oct 2009

One point here. As most netbooks are running windows xp instead of windows vista and only windows vista is eligible for windows 7 upgrade, wait till 23rd of October to buy your netbook.

bremner 14:39 11 Oct 2009

The spec of most netbooks does not lend them to having Vista/Windows 7 as their O/S, hence why they currently come with XP or Linux.

The stripped out version of 7 as mentioned by alan14 is being introduced very much with netbooks in mind.

I would not be rushing to buy a full or upgrade version of 7 just yet.

jaritch 16:47 11 Oct 2009

My wife has a notebook and all I did to load Office and any other programs was to copy them from the cd on my pc onto a flash drive and then install from there. a lot cheaper than an external dvd or cd drive.

Pauldunstan 10:56 12 Oct 2009

Apparently you'll need to make the flash drive bootable to install windows 7 from it. I'm sure the helproom can give you more technical advice on how to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?