Netbook suggestion

mb1980y 14:45 16 Jul 2010

Hi

The misses wants and Ipad, and I'm saying no, lol, and I've never looked into netbooks before, she just needs it for facebook, shopping online and general browsing.

I have read posts about putting a proper windows 7 on instead of the starter and also adding 1gb ram extra. Not sure if this is needed.

Any suggestions on where to get one, not sure what company would be best to choose.

Thanks

wee eddie 14:48 16 Jul 2010

get her what she wants.

She will not be happy with a Netbook!

mb1980y 14:57 16 Jul 2010

nooooo I cant give in, I think the one main reason she wants it is cos of the book shelf thingy ( ebook is it ).

superhoops 22:38 16 Jul 2010

Used to have a Samsung NC10. With the extra memory installed it ran very sweetly.

Now have what is supposed to be a successor to it -N220 and even with the extra memory in it, its sluggish, everything takes forever(or so it seems) to open and is totally frustrating.

What I am saying is if you do decide on a netbook be careful what you get, some are good , some are evidently not.

Forum Editor 08:01 17 Jul 2010

I use one sometimes when I'm travelling, and I don't want to be encumbered with a full-size laptop. The netbook is good for email, a bit of browsing, and a batch of work files, but it isn't something I would want to use all the time.

To be honest I tend to agree with wee eddie - an iPad is a different animal altogether, it looks great, performs well, and if a woman wants something badly enough it's never a bad idea to go along with it - provided the budget will allow, of course.

mb1980y 08:36 17 Jul 2010

I just felt the ipad is all hype, nothing more. but from what I've read over the past few days netbooks can be hit and miss.

Forum Editor 09:12 17 Jul 2010

although not everyone will want one.

Apple is great at producing objects of desire, although as Steve Jobs has recently admitted - the company isn't perfect.

You can read our review of the iPad if you click here

woodchip 19:32 17 Jul 2010

I have a Samsung nc10 can verify it fast with XPhom just one gig of ram and 160 gig drive. As above its better working with a big screen. Only thing I find with the Samsung is the touchpad is just about useless I use a Wireless optical mouse with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?