Netbook with HDMI?

fozy 01:02 13 Dec 2010

My 15 inch laptop is now 6 years old and needs to be replaced (40gb). My lifestyle is very much travelling at the moment and for the whole of next year and part of 2012 i will be on the road.

Therefor i want to purchase a netbook which will suit my lifestyle and will no doubt be better than my current laptop.

Here's my problem, when at home i would like to connect it to my TV, not to watch films or gaming just for browzing the internet and simple WORD/EXCELL documents. Though watching a movie from an exturnal hard drive would be a bonus i suppose but not essential.

Do i need to get a Netbook with a HDMI socket or will the VGA do? HDMI is hard to find on a Netbook and i don't know if i am sacrificing quality in the search for a HDMI.

Will VGA still put a good quality picture on my TV?

Thanks in advance for any help.

tullie 07:03 13 Dec 2010

I have a HDMI connection on my netbook,dont know if they all have,i am assuming so.

[email protected] 18:13 13 Dec 2010

A VGA connection will still give a good display - it's only in the last few years that DVI and HDMI have really started to take off, yet PCs have always managed to give a good picture with the humble VGA output.

The main advantages of HDMI, aside from the improved picture quality, is that it's a much less bulkier cable, and can also carry sound. So if you can find a netbook that has one then great, but if not then it's it not such a big deal.

fozy 18:49 13 Dec 2010

So if i just got one with VGA would i have to get a seperate cable for the sound as well?

fozy 18:50 13 Dec 2010

Tullie what netbook have you got and would you recommend it?

[email protected] 21:49 13 Dec 2010

If you want the sound to play through then TV's speakers then yes, or alternatively you could just let the sound play through the Netbook's speakers.

Woolwell 22:20 13 Dec 2010

Depends on your budget but I would have thought that a lightweight laptop would be better.

fozy 23:25 13 Dec 2010

I was close to getting a ultra portable laptop. but even the really small ones are quite a bit bigger than the netbooks and space is a premium for me.

I am in the Army and will be training next year for Afhganistan so will be on the move alot and i like the idea that i can slip a netbook into my daysack, without barely noticing it. Add a hard drive full of films and i'm laughing. Thats the idea anyway.

And if it gets damaged in Afhganistan then £200-£300 is easier to swollow than £500+.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?