Net purchase regulations

naineysman 12:10 29 Jan 2007

Folks, I booked a camp site in Belgium on the net last week but today needed to cancel this. Its for September this year.

Company say they will cancel booking but will not refund. Will speak to CC company but I thought there were distance selling regs to prevent this type of poor customer handling.

Any help?
N

spuds 13:34 29 Jan 2007

Distance Selling Regulations are for the first 7 days, in case you want to 'opt-out'. Some companies may extend this period, the choice is theirs. click here

One point that I would suggest for consideration. If the company is Belgium registered, and the arrangements and bookings are via Belgium, then UK consumer law will not apply (yet!).

bfoc 23:11 29 Jan 2007

Our distance selling regulations were EU 'inspired' so it is possible that there is something similiar in Belgium.

This might help click here

Forum Editor 23:40 29 Jan 2007

before you tried to cancel?

All countries in the European Union have to obey the Distance Selling Directive, and you should have been advised of any cancellation rights before, or at the point of booking. Check the website you used, to see the terms and conditions applying.

In this country you would normally have a 7-day cooling off period, within which you may cancel.

aveylee 16:16 30 Jan 2007

bfoc and the FE are right the EU directive would have been transposed into all EU countries.
'Spuds' has a point over where the contract was concluded, however the courts normally hold that the contract is concluded where the consumer is based.
However none of this matters as holdays / accommadation (and other things) are expressly excluded from the Distance selling rules under s.6.2(b) Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regs 2000.
(The '7 day cancellation right' is created under s.10 of the above 2000 reg's).
So unless the contract you signed permits cancellations, you may be stuck - sorry.

naineysman 10:47 07 Feb 2007

Thanks for all who responded. I did not realise that holiday companies were excluded however I challenged the company in question on their T7C's and they refunded 60% so I am walking away reasonably happy.

N

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?