Need lightweight laptop £500-£1k

A-1238483 00:01 15 Feb 2008

My beloved Packard Bell Easynote A8 is in the process of dying (already replaced AC jack twice & it's going again, plus no working USB ports or microphone).I bought it for around £750 maybe 2.5 yrs ago and have worked it into the ground as I'm a journalist, sitting on it 10-15 hrs a day, and travelling incessantly on location. Apart from the jack, which I suspect was my fault, it hasn't missed a beat.

It has a 13.3 screen and weighs 2kg/4.4lbs. I'm looking for a replacement with the same weight/screen. Weight vital cos of carry on restrictions. I need lots of memory for pics & music, and reliability as I'm never in one place long enough for repairs. I've read through all the forums but can't get a handle on what I need.

I've had Vaios in the past but had lots of hideous tech problems/nightmares with them. The Dell XPS has gd consumer feedback, but the ad ons confuse me. Toshiba seem interesting. Mac Book looks fun, but too heavy. Any thoughts out there, laptop gurus? (I cld buy in the US, possibly)

Kemistri 00:35 15 Feb 2008
  A-1238483 01:01 15 Feb 2008

Brilliant! Thank you Kemistri.
I'm looking at the Vaio after reading this review click here

I can get it for half price in the US too - $1500 vs £1500. Bloomin' marvellous. PC Advisor rocks!

wjrt 13:46 15 Feb 2008
  wjrt 13:48 15 Feb 2008

the only thing I would change is to upgrade tp 9 cell battery for £20 and seems very good spec

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?