Need Help for New PC

skoolboyhuneedshelp 21:14 03 Jan 2005

Hi everyone!

Im thinking of buying a new PC for the family. I've seen a PC frm Dell which seems to be very good value but I would like to see your opinions on it and whether there are better PC's around. Also I haev a few quams about the actual components. Since I've never bought a Dell before I would like to know if anyone has their "value TFT monitor" and it would be nice if they good tell me how it is. Also I would like to know if the 16x max. DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability drive can read and write CDs as there are two other options which are:
16x max. DVD+/-RW and 48x CD-ROM

16x max. DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD [add £64.63 or £2/month1]

and if anyone knows, could they tell me the difference.

Here are the specifications:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT technology (3.00GHz, 800MHz fsb, 1MB cache)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2 - English

1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz [2x512

160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache

3.5" Floppy Drive

128MB PCI-Express ATI Radeon X300SE™ with TVout & DVI

Dell E153FP 15" Value Flat Panel Monitor

16x max. DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability

TOTAL INCLUDING DELIVERY £610.

P.S. Would you say this system is futur proof or should I go for an Athlon 64.

rickf 21:26 03 Jan 2005

It seems pretty well specced. Yes, the DVD RW also reads Cds, dvds, and also writes to CDRWs, CDRs etc.,Nothing is really future proof but the Dual Layer on the DVD RW is good as this media become more readily available and affordable. The 1g DDR memory is also v.gd as most tend to come with 512. HOwever, you might want to shop around and see if you can the same specs but with a 17"TFT as yours is 15"only. I suspect the GC is a bit basic although its PCI Express. Others will contribute. Ultimately, the decison is yours.

t.long 21:31 03 Jan 2005

Dell probably offer an upgrade option for the monitor, or you could ask for it to be supplied without it, and by another one from a seperate source.

Starfox 21:35 03 Jan 2005

X300 graphics card click here Pretty basic and very cheap but if your'e not a gamer should be ok.

trueblu_12 09:10 04 Jan 2005

Im not a gamer so I don't really mind about the graphics. At the moment I have an ancient 32mb TNT2 card which satisfyies my needs so the graphics insnt a problem. Would it be better to get an Athlon 64?

rickf 09:20 04 Jan 2005

Personally, I preefer a P4. Others may disagree but I think its more stable and for video editing its ace. Again, others will disagree. Do your research and its down to you ultimately.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:39 04 Jan 2005

There is no difference, that you would notice, between a 64 or a p4. Go for the cheaper one,

G

trueblu_12 12:08 04 Jan 2005

Thanks everyone for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires