Need help choosing laptop

phizzy 16:08 17 Jun 2010

Have done some considerable reserach, read the reviews, understand the specs, etc, but cannot come to a decision on which laptop to get! Hope you guys can all help me.

The choices are:-

Samsung R530 - will prob try and get this with the i-3 processor, 3gb RAM. Liking it as it looks stylish, and the R series apparently has a Silent mode which is a big thing for me. Want a quiet laptop.

Acer 5741 - again, looking at the i-3 processor. Bit more business-like in looks.

Bit about me: am not a gamer. I am a writer so I'll be word processing most of the time with some video streaming (iplayer etc) and want it to be able to provide a good movie-viewing experience.

Hope someone out there can help me make the decision. :)

Many thanks for reading this.

P

interzone55 17:16 17 Jun 2010

I don't know much about the laptops you're looking at, as you've not given full specs, but if you're a writer you should really look at the Lenovo Thinkpad series, their keyboards are beyond compare...

chub_tor 18:26 17 Jun 2010

click here is one of many laptop reliability reports to be found on the internet. Acer do not come out well, Samsung are not mentioned.

john bunyan 20:17 17 Jun 2010

Quite a bit dearer ( abt £630) but I did a lot of homework and have just bought a Toshiba Sattelite L650 - 10G. My local repair guy says Toshiba and Asus (not acer) are good and reasonable to repair.Have a TV / PVR dongle and TV looks good - not a gamer either but it does have quite a good video card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone