Need a good OCR programme

Mike D 10:54 06 Aug 2007

I need an OCR programme that is better that the light versions usually given away with a scanner.

We are going to be scanning documents which contain fields and graphics. I used to use a Pagis product which could recognise field and insert then into editable Word documents, but I cannot find an updated version (needs to work with XP).

Any recommendations please.

Mike

€dstowe 11:08 06 Aug 2007

My father was looking for this software the other day - preferably free as he only had one job to do.

He gave up. The only free one he found was SimpleOCR 3 which he said wasn't much better than the OCR program he had in the 1990's.

He came here this morning and used my Omnipage Pro.

Beware if you Google SimpleOCR - SiteAdvisor comes up with a lot of danger signals.

stylehurst 14:01 06 Aug 2007

I would recommend Omnipage Pro. Normally you find that you can upgrade from any OCR package supplied with a scanner for a fraction of the MRP price advertised.
Another program worthy of consideration is Abbyy

Stuartli 14:41 06 Aug 2007

I use to use ReadIris:

click here

Mike D 15:02 06 Aug 2007

Thanks guys, I now realise that Omnipage Pro comes from the same stable as my old software, Pagis Pro, so I will probably go with that one.

Mike

T0SH 16:15 06 Aug 2007

There is a free OCR program here I have not tried it though so cant say how good it is

click here

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?