Need buying advice, please???

kevlewins 13:55 07 Sep 2003

I am looking to buy a PC on a budget.

I have found on ebay.co.uk you can get the best value at the minute.

a system of P4 2.8 512mb ddr 80GB CD writer finishes at about £380

Is this a good price? I also don't have a clue about proccesors and motherboards is a P4 worth the money or would a duron or athlon be just as good?

would buying components be cheaper, and builing it myself?

I would be grateful for any resonse

Forum Editor 13:59 07 Sep 2003

so I'll move it.

Tim1964 14:25 07 Sep 2003

If you're not 100% sure of what you're doing then I would suggest a pre-built system.
Remeber also that ebay is an auction site and the item you bid/pay for might not exist!

For a budget of £400 you can find a quite high spec (not top of the range, but who really needs that) at sites mentioned in this thread click here

Good luck

kevlewins 14:35 07 Sep 2003

I no but with people who have 700 hundred or more feedback, and are listed to be in an area near me there is some sense of security.

I believe i could build my own PC its just a case of where to get the components from and whether it would be cheaper or not.

Rayuk 14:40 07 Sep 2003

There have been recent cases regarding ebay whereby the seller had hundreds of posotive feedback but turned out to be a scam.
When paying out this kind of money I wouldnt entertain it personally.

What area are you in maybe links can be posted for you

Building it yourself would probably be slightly dearer but you can at least pick the components you actually want in it and the biggest plus is the satisfaction of doing the job

kevlewins 14:46 07 Sep 2003

I do feel at the minute tho that ebay has the best systems on, all other shops etc charge about £300 or more on top of that for the same system.

I live in the North East of england near Newcastle.

I'm currently looking at 2.6 or 2.8 P4 with 80GB hard drive and 512mb or above ram, also a 128mb graphics card although this is not vital. Most the systems on ebay also include a cd writer.

thanks for the help so far.

Belatucadrus 15:19 07 Sep 2003

Freeserve auctions click here is also worth a look as some companies like Dabs and Compaq use them to auction off old stock.

bfoc 16:03 07 Sep 2003

Was going to buy a computer at an auction I would use a site which gave me a manufacturer's warranty so for instance:
click here

Just my view.

pcmuncher 21:33 07 Sep 2003

This link has all the manufacturer updates and motherboard manual on there etc. click here
Personally, when I buy a new toy, I look at pretend I alreay have it and look for the after sales support and updates I can get - And I go for the manufacturer has the best. Always worth paying the extra fiver for good support - prevents you from going bald quicker!
If you want a good price CPU click here and my favourite motherboard (not because it's RED) is the MSI K7N you can hoover mouse over the image to zoom in if you
click here

I really good site for help on sticking it together is click here Plain simple and free!

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone